BANANA BREAD SNACK CAKE — Traditional banana bread is baked in a square pan and sprinkled with sugar to create a crunchy topping on this baked banana treat.
I have tried so many recipes for using up over-ripe bananas, and this Banana Bread Snack Cake is hands-down one of my absolute favorites!
The secret to this “banana bread” is that it’s baked in a 9-inch square pan, and sprinkled with sugar before baking, which gives it that amazing, crunchy topping you see.
Seriously though, that sugar topping! I don’t know where that’s been all my life, but I’ll be sprinkling sugar on every banana flavored bread or cake I make from here on out.
To say my family loved this would be a huge understatement. If I would have had enough bananas, I would have gladly doubled the recipe. This stuff disappeared within in a day.
And as soon as it was gone, I wanted to make it again. Alas, it really does need to be made with very ripe bananas, so I had to wait several days for my newly purchased bananas to ripen.
I don’t know why something as simple as changing the type of pan can transform the whole banana bread experience, but it does. Although I’m sure you could still bake this in a loaf pan and it would be delicious.
No matter what kind of pan you bake this banana bread in, the sugar topping is an absolute must! I hope you love this simple (yet utterly amazing) banana treat as much as we did.
Really, just make it. You can thank me later.
Be sure to save this Banana Bread Snack Cake recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Banana Bread Snack Cake
- Brown sugar
- Baking soda
Banana Bread Snack Cake
Traditional banana bread is baked in a square pan and sprinkled with sugar to create a crunchy topping on this baked banana treat.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 8-10 servings
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4-5 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8 or 9-inch square baking pan with nonstick baking spray or line with parchment paper.
- With an electric mixer, beat together the butter, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla until well blended. Mix in the bananas until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Stir in the pecans.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the sugar evenly over the top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center. Let the bread cool slightly in the pan on a rack. Cut into squares to serve.
Keywords: banana, bread
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from the Magnolia Table Cookbook