CRESCENT TOPPED CHICKEN POT PIES — Chicken and vegetables in a creamy sauce, topped with crescent roll dough and baked until golden and bubbly.
I love chicken pot pie in all it’s forms, but these individual Crescent Topped Chicken Pot Pies are one of my favorite versions of the classic pot pie.
There’s something about having your own little pot pie that’s just fun! And when your individual pie is topped with flaky crescent roll dough, arranged in pretty pinwheels, somehow the whole meal tastes better.
Whether you’re feeding kids or grown ups, these mini pot pies are a hit with everyone. And it’s a great way to sneak in those vegetables for the picky eaters in your family.
To make this dish extra easy to prepare, I like to use a supermarket rotisserie chicken, frozen mixed vegetables, and of course, canned crescent roll dough.
I like to use the dough sheets in this recipe, because it’s easy to cut them into strips and arrange them over the individual pies.
But these pot pies could just as easily be made from scratch if you have the time and energy. Either way, they’re going to be delicious! Don’t be surprised if the whole family raves!
I do like to add some cooked, diced potatoes if I have a little extra time, but when I’m really in a hurry to get dinner on the table, I just toss in a bag of frozen veggies and call it good!
And of course, you could put everything into one larger dish if you don’t have any individual dishes available. It still tastes the same!
Like I said, I never get tired of eating chicken pot pie in any form, and if you’re looking for a new twist on a classic comfort food dish, this recipe is a must try!
Be sure to save this recipe for Crescent Topped Chicken Pot Pies to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Crescent Topped Chicken Pot Pies
- Produce: garlic, onions, fresh parsley
- Chicken broth
- Spices: salt and pepper, sage, thyme, garlic salt
- Frozen mixed vegetables
- Parmesan cheese
- Canned crescent roll sheets
Crescent Topped Chicken Pot Pies
Chicken and vegetables in a creamy sauce, topped with crescent roll dough and baked until golden and bubbly.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 servings
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground sage
- 2-3 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 (12 oz.) bag frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 (8 oz.) cans Pillsbury crescent dough sheets
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- Fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Stir in flour and cook a few minutes more.
- Slowly whisk in chicken broth until smooth. Whisk in milk, salt, pepper, thyme and sage. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened.
- Stir in chicken and frozen vegetables. Divide the mixture among 6-8 lightly greased individual baking dishes or ramekins.
- Unroll the crescent dough and cut each sheet into 12 strips. Arrange 3-4 strips, in a pinwheel fashion, on top of each pot pie. You may not use all the dough. I just bake the extras on a small baking sheet and serve them on the side.
- Sprinkle the pot pies with Parmesan cheese and garlic salt. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until filling is bubbly and crust is golden. Sprinkle with fresh parsley before serving if desired.
Keywords: chicken, pot pie, crescent rolls
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens