CHIPOTLE CHILI DOGS — Traditional chili dogs are given a smoky, spicy kick thanks to the addition of chipotle peppers in adobo. Topped with spicy sour cream, cheddar cheese and green onions, these Southwest inspired chili dogs are bound to be a hit!
Despite the fact that they often get a bad rap, I admit to being a huge fan of hot dogs. And I’m an even bigger fan of chili dogs, like these Chipotle Chili Dogs.
Traditional ground beef hot dog chili is enhanced with smoky, spicy chipotle peppers in adobo sauce to give these chili dogs a unique, Southwestern flavor.
Chipotle infused sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese and sliced green onions finish things off.
If you like a little heat, and Tex-Mex flavors, you’re going to love these chili dogs.
And you can control the spice level by adding more or less chipotles in adobo. They’re pretty spicy, so I suggest starting out small and adding more to suit your tastes.
If you’ve never cooked with chipotles in adobo, you’ll find them with the canned goods in the Mexican foods section of your grocery store.
I’ve never come close to using an entire can at once–they’re just too spicy–so I freeze a two or three at time in small ziploc bags to use later. They add great, smoky flavor to so many dishes!
All my boys love hot dogs and spicy food, so these chili smothered hot dogs were a big hit at my house. Other taco toppings, like tomato and avocado would be great additions too.
If you’d like to keep some chili handy for making chili dogs any time, just double the recipe and store half in the freezer.
Then you just have to cook up your hot dogs, and the chili is ready to go!
With grilling season right around the corner, this is an easy dinner we’ll be enjoying all summer long!
Be sure to save this Chipotle Chili Dogs recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Chipotle Chili Dogs
- Hot dogs and hot dog buns
- Ground beef
- Produce: Onions, green onions, garlic
- Tomato sauce
- Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- Spices: chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper
- Sour cream
- Lime juice
- Shredded cheddar cheese
Chipotle Chili Dogs
Traditional chili dogs are given a smoky, spicy kick thanks to the addition of chipotle peppers in adobo. Topped with spicy sour cream, cheddar cheese and green onions, these Southwest inspired chili dogs are bound to be a hit!
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Sauteed
- Cuisine: American
- 8 hot dogs and buns
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 2-3 teaspoons minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon adobo sauce (from can of chilies)
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Chopped green onions
- Cook hot dogs according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, chipotle peppers, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until flavors are blended. Place hot dogs in buns. Spoon chili over hot dogs.
- In a small bowl, combine sour cream, lime juice and adobo sauce; spoon over hot dogs. Sprinkle with cheese and green onions.
Keywords: hot dogs, chili
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Taste of Home