BAKED CHICKEN CHIMICHANGAS WITH CREAMY CREEN CHILE SAUCE – These baked chimichangas are loaded with savory slow cooked shredded chicken and cheese, then smothered in a cream green chile sauce. They’ll satisfy any craving for Mexican food!
I love chimichangas! They’re one of my favorite Mexican dishes, and I almost always order them when we eat at a Mexican restaurant (preferably as part of a combo!).
And I love making these Baked Chicken Chimichangas with Creamy Green Chile Sauce at home.
I love that these chimichangas are baked, not fried. Which, calorie-wise, kind of makes up for the fact that they’re smothered in a creamy green chili sauce.
These chimichangas start out with shredded, slow cooked chicken, which is seasoned with chili powder, cumin and other Mexican seasonings. That gets all wrapped in a flour tortilla with cheese and baked until crispy.
And then comes my favorite part–the creamy green chili sauce that tops everything off!
I like to simmer my sauce while the chimichangas bake, which allows it to thicken up a bit, and also allows the flavors to blend.
Then I spoon the sauce over the crispy chimichangas and top that off with some shredded cheese, avocado, tomato and fresh cilantro. Of course, you can feel free to use any of your favorite toppings.
My husband always insists on a generous dollop of sour cream.
These chimichangas are as good as anything I’ve had at a Mexican restaurant, without all the fat and grease from frying.
And if you really want to create a restaurant meal at home, be sure to cook up some Mexican rice to serve on the side.
Be sure to save this recipe for Baked Chicken Chimichangas with Creamy Green Chile Sauce to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Baked Chicken Chimichangas with Creamy Green Chile Sauce
These baked chimichangas are loaded with savory slow cooked shredded chicken and cheese, then smothered in a cream green chile sauce. They’ll satisfy any craving for Mexican food!
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Total Time: 6 hours 25 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 servings
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Mexican
For the chimichangas
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (10 oz.) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6-8 medium size flour tortillas (about 8 inch size)
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Sour cream, tomatoes, shredded lettuce, avocado, shredded cheese, chopped cilantro, etc., for garnish
For the creamy green chili sauce
- 1 (16 oz.) jar salsa verde
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or half and half
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Add the chicken to a lightly greased slow cooker. Combine the diced tomatoes and green chilies, spices and cornstarch in a small bowl; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for about 6 hours. Shred chicken with 2 forks and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a large cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine the shredded chicken mixture with the cheese. Fill tortillas with chicken and cheese mixture. Roll up the tortillas burrito style, tucking the ends in, and place them seam side down on the cookie sheet. Spray the tops of the chimichangas generously with non-stick cooking spray. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, combine the salsa verde, sour cream, cream or half and half, lime juice and honey in a medium saucepan. Simmer over gentle heat until slightly thickened and bubbly. Spoon sauce over chimichangas before serving. Garnish with sour cream, tomatoes, avocado, shredded lettuce. additional cheese, and cilantro, if desired.
Keywords: chicken, chimichangas
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Cassie Craves