BANANA SPICE COOKIES WITH LEMON FROSTING — Soft and fluffy banana cookies with a hint of cinnamon and nutmeg, topped off with a creamy lemon frosting. A great way to use up over-ripe bananas!
As far as I’m concerned, you can never have enough recipes for using over-ripe bananas, and these Banana Spice Cookies with Lemon Frosting are delicious twist on the usual banana fare.
What really sets these cookies apart is the lemon frosting. If you’re thinking banana cookies with lemon frosting sounds like an odd combination, think again. Because these cookies are amazing!
Like most banana cookies, these tasty morsels have the consistency and texture of a cake. But serving them up in cookie form just makes the recipe more fun.
And like most banana baked goods, these cookies are moist and tender and are perfect for after-school or late-night snacking. I may have even authorized their consumption for breakfast on occasion.
Plus, the fact that these cookies have fruit in them just makes me feel like they are healthier than your average cookie. Which is totally not true. Especially because of the luscious frosting. But I’ll keep telling myself that anyway.
If you’ve got over-ripe bananas sitting around (or stored away in your freezer), I suggest making up a batch of these cookies right away! You won’t regret it. And your friends and family will thank you too!
Then be sure to tuck this recipe away in your favorites file, because if you’re anything like me, you never have a shortage of old bananas you need to use up.
Oh, and I highly recommend a glass of cold milk to go along with your cookies. Because it doesn’t get much better than homemade cookies and milk. I hope you love these banana cookies as much as my family does.
Be sure to save this recipe for Banana Spice Cookies with Lemon Frosting to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Soft and fluffy banana cookies with a hint of cinnamon and nutmeg, topped off with a creamy lemon frosting. A great way to use up over-ripe bananas!
For the cookies
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 medium bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
For the lemon frosting
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- With an electric mixer, cream together butter, sugar, eggs, banana, and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, soda, salt cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir into the wet ingredients until well-combined.
- Cover dough and refrigerator for at least one hour. Drop tablespoons of chilled dough onto onto lightly greased baking sheets. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until golden. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, beat together ingredients for frosting with an electric mixer. Gradually add the lemon juice until frosting reaches desired consistency.
Time does not include chilling.
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from a recipe my friend Jenda shared in a church cookbook.