ORZO CHICKEN SKILLET— Orzo pasta, tender chicken and fresh spinach come together in this easy one pot meal!
I have a 13 year-old who is crazy about orzo. Which pretty much means he’s going to love anything I make with orzo in it, and this Orzo Chicken Skillet was no exception.
The best part is, this skillet meal was so easy to make, and the rest of the family loved it too. Which means it’s going into the regular menu rotation.
This is one of those quick, one-pot dinners that has everything you need for a hearty, balanced meal–including your veggies!
The original recipe called for frozen spinach, but I prefer fresh, so that’s what I used. If you’d like to use frozen spinach, you’ll need about 10 ounces, thawed and squeezed dry.
And you don’t have to stop at spinach! This recipe would be easily adaptable to include other kinds of veggies too.
The crushed red pepper give this dish just a hint of heat, but you could easily leave it out if you don’t want the dish to be spicy at all.
With a loaf of warm, crusty bread, this Orzo Chicken Skillet makes an easy week night meal the whole family will love.
And if you happen to have leftovers, they’re great for lunch the next day!
Be sure to save this Orzo Chicken Skillet recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Orzo Chicken Skillet
- Chicken breasts
- Spices: garlic salt, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes
- Produce: onion, garlic, fresh spinach
- Olive oil
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Chicken broth
- Orzo pasta
- Parmesan cheese
Orzo Chicken Skillet
Orzo pasta, tender chicken and fresh spinach come together in this easy one pot meal!
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Boiled
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14 oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup uncooked orzo
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1//8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 5-6 ounces fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Sprinkle chicken with garlic salt. In a large skillet, saute chicken and onion in oil for 5-6 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Add minced garlic and cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes, broth, orzo, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until orzo is just tender and liquid is absorbed. Stir in spinach and cook an additional 2-3 minutes, until spinach is wilted.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese before serving.
Keywords: orzo, spinach, chicken
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Taste of Home