CREAMY SLOW COOKER MEATBALL ORZO STEW — Meatballs are simmered in a creamy broth with orzo pasta, fresh thyme and Parmesan cheese in this hearty slow cooker soup recipe.
I’ve made this Creamy Slow Cooker Meatball Orzo Stew twice in the last few weeks, and even served it for company over Christmas break. That’s how much we love this soup!
Our guests loved it too. I served it with a green salad and some crusty bread and everyone was happy. And it makes enough to feed a crowd, so it’s perfect for serving guests.
Besides being absolutely delicious, satisfying comfort food, it is one of the easiest soup recipes I’ve ever made in my slow cooker.
When it’s easy and the whole family devours it, I know I’ve got a keeper! Or maybe I should say “winner, winner, meatball dinner.”
Basically, you dump some cocktail sized frozen meatballs into your slow cooker, cover them in broth and seasonings, and walk away for a few hours.
About 30 minutes before dinner is served, you stir in your orzo, cream and Parmesan cheese. That’s literally all there is too it.
Of course, you could always make your meatballs from scratch, and I’m sure it would be amazing. I might even try it some time.
But I was really going for a quick to prepare, easy meal, and the frozen meatballs work perfectly for that.
I really do recommend the fresh thyme–you just toss it while your meatballs simmer. It has a way of making this stew seem a little more fancy. But a teaspoon or so of dried thyme will work in a pinch.
I hope you love this meatball orzo stew as much as we do!
Be sure to save this Creamy Slow Cooker Meatball Orzo Stew recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Creamy Slow Cooker Meatball Orzo Stew
- Frozen meatballs
- Chicken broth
- Produce: garlic, fresh thyme
- Spices: onion powder, salt and pepper
- Orzo pasta
- Heavy cream
- Parmesan cheese
Creamy Slow Cooker Meatball Orzo Stew
Meatballs are simmered in a creamy broth with orzo pasta, fresh thyme and Parmesan cheese in this hearty slow cooker soup recipe.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 5 hours
- Total Time: 5 hours 5 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- Category: Soup
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- 40 frozen cocktail-size meatballs
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup orzo pasta, uncooked
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place meatballs in a lightly greased slow cooker. Pour in broth, then stir in garlic, onion powder and thyme.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours. About 30 minutes before serving, turn slow cooker to high. Stir in orzo, cream and Parmesan.
- Cover and cook on high until orzo is tender, 30-40 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Remove thyme sprigs before serving.
Keywords: meatball, orzo, soup, stew
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Slow Cooker Gourmet