One of my husband’s favorite soups is broccoli and cheese, and we’ve tried a lot of different versions in search of the best. If you’ve been on a quest to find the Best Broccoli Cheese Soup, then look no further, because this recipe is it!
Of course, what makes a good broccoli cheese soup is really a matter of personal opinion, but this version has everything my husband is looking for.
First of all, the pieces of broccoli can’t be too big. Actually, that’s a requirement of my children too. And the soup has to be creamy, not too thick, but also not too thin, and really cheesy!
If that’s what you love in a broccoli cheese soup, then you’re going to love this recipe as much as we do. Now, I’m sure there are simpler recipes out there, but this one is definitely worth the few extra minutes of effort.
The reason this soup is so smooth, and the broccoli pieces aren’t too big, is that you run it through a blender once it’s cooked.
I have an immersion blender that I can use right in the pot. It’s so much easier than transferring all that hot soup to a blender, and then back to the pot.
If you don’t have an immersion blender, this soup is the perfect excuse to buy one.
Of course, if you do like a chunkier soup, you can skip the blending step all together. Or just blend some of your soup, if you like a happy medium somewhere between smooth and chunky.
No matter how you serve it, this broccoli cheese soup is the perfect way to warm up on a cold day, and a great way to get your kids (or husband) to eat their broccoli.
Be sure to save this Best Broccoli Cheese Soup recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Best Broccoli Cheese Soup
This creamy, flavorful broccoli cheese soup is the perfect comfort food on a cold day!
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Monterrey Jack cheese
- Place the broccoli and chicken broth in a large dutch oven and bring to a boil. Simmer until broccoli is crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Do not overcook.
- Remove the broccoli with a slotted spoon and place in a bowl. Set aside. Reserve the broth in the pot.
- In another large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until tender, but not brown, 3-5 minutes. Stir in the flour.
- Gradually whisk the reserved broth into the butter and flour mixture. Bring to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened. Add the reserved broccoli.
- Stir in the heavy cream and simmer for another 3-5 minutes. Let the soup cool slightly, then remove soup to a blender and puree (you may have to work in batches). Alternately, you can blend the soup right in the pot with an immersion blender. Puree as much or as little of the soup as you would like to reach desired consistency.
- Return the pureed soup to the pot and bring to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the cheeses and continue cooking until cheese is melted. Serve immediately with additional cheese for garnish, if desired.