FROZEN CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CHERRY PIE — This easy but elegant frozen dessert features cherries and chocolate mousse in a chocolate crumb crust.
My husband is a huge fan of any kind of cherry and chocolate combination, so I knew this Frozen Chocolate Mousse Cherry Pie would be right up his alley!
But let’s be honest. We all loved this decadent chocolate and cherry dessert!
I mean, what’s not to love about a chocolate crumb crust, filled with sweet tart cherries and topped of with a cool, creamy layer of frozen chocolate mousse? Nothing, that’s what!
And if you top it off with some homemade whipped cream and chocolate shavings, it’s even better! Let’s just say this didn’t last long at my house.
Typically I’d be all about using fresh cherries, but in this frozen dessert, the frozen cherries actually work better.
Fresh cherries tend to really freeze! But the frozen cherries actually stay a little bit softer (as in, more edible). Nobody wants to bite into a rock hard cherry in the middle of their chocolate mousse!
And another bonus, the frozen cherries are already pitted for you, which is a real time saver. I don’t know about you, but I love it when I can save a little time in the kitchen.
Best of all, this dessert looks so elegant and tastes so delicious, everyone will think you spent a lot longer on it than you really did. It can just be our little secret!
Be sure to save this Frozen Chocolate Mousse Cherry Pie recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Frozen Chocolate Mousse Cherry Pie
This easy but elegant frozen dessert features cherries and chocolate mousse in a chocolate crumb crust.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 30 min
- Yield: 8 servings
- 32 chocolate wafer cookies
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3/4 pound (about 1.5 cups) frozen pitted dark sweet cherries, halved
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Lightly grease a 9-inch tart pan.
- Add chocolate wafer cookies to the bowl of a food processor and pulse to form fine crumbs. Add melted butter and pulse a few more times to mix.
- Press the crumb mixture into the bottom and up the sides of the prepared pan. Freeze for one hour.
- Remove crust from freezer. Top with a single layer of cherries, cut side down. Return to the freezer while you prepare the chocolate mousse.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, combined the chocolate chips and 1/4 cup of the cream. Microwave at 50% power for 20 second intervals, just until melted and smooth. Stir in maraschino cherry juice.
- With an electric mixer, beat the remaining cream and sugar until stiff peaks form. Fold 1/3 of the chocolate mixture into the whipped cream. Fold in the remaining chocolate mixture until incorporated.
- Spread the mousse filling over the cherries and smooth the top. Freeze for at least one hour, or until firm.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Top with whipped cream, chocolate shavings and cherries, if desired.
Total time does not include freezing.
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Love and Olive Oil