I have a favorite deli in town and I absolutely love their chicken salad sandwich! This Curry Chicken Orzo Salad is my version of their delicious curried chicken salad.
With tart green onions, crunchy celery, toasted almonds, and plenty of curry powder, this chicken salad is sure to become a favorite.
My friend Kim, who shared this recipe, includes halved grapes and dried cranberries, which I’m sure is amazing!
Since I was trying to copy my favorite deli sandwich, I stuck with the apples and sliced almonds.
The deli where I buy it serves it on whole grain bread, but it’s also wonderful on a croissant, and straight out of the bowl–no carbs needed!
They also use rice, rather than orzo. I really prefer the orzo, but if you have leftover rice, go ahead and use that. The salad will still be delicious!
As you can see, this is a chicken salad that is super versatile, and works well with different kinds of nuts, fruits and grains.
A brown rice version would be awesome too! And I like to add a dash of cayenne for a bit of extra heat.
Don’t be afraid to experiment and add your favorite chicken salad ingredients. No matter how you mix up this Curry Chicken Orzo Salad, it’s a wonderful lunch or light dinner on a hot day.
Be sure to save this Curry Chicken Orzo Salad recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Curry Chicken Orzo Salad
Tender chicken, orzo, apples, almonds and celery tossed in a creamy curried mayonnaise dressing. Serve on thick sliced bread or croissants.
- Yield: 4
- 3-4 cups cooked diced chicken
- 1/4 cup orzo pasta, cooked and drained
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 2-3 green onions, chopped
- 1 green apple, chopped
- 1/2 cup toasted, sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium bowl, toss together the chicken, cooked orzo, celery, onion, apple and sliced almonds.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, curry powder, garlic powder and cayenne pepper.
- Add the mayonnaise mixture to the chicken and mix well. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Refrigerator until serving.
For more crunchy almonds, stir them into the salad just before serving.
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from my friend, Kim Slade.