I’m always looking for ways to use up over-ripe bananas. Aren’t we all? Well, this Banana Bread Coffee Cake is my new favorite banana recipe. Loaded with banana flavor, this cake is perfect for breakfast, brunch or even dessert!
This cake was so much better than I thought it would be! The thing about banana recipes, whether it be breads, muffins, cakes or cookies, is that they all tend to have a similar texture.
It’s not a bad texture, but it does seem hard to get a truly unique texture once you add bananas to the mix.
So I was expecting this cake to taste a lot like other banana cake recipes I’ve tried. But it actually had the texture of a moist, delicious coffee cake.
Just imagine your favorite banana bread, crossed with your favorite coffee cake and you’ll have an idea of how wonderful this Banana Bread Coffee Cake is.
And did I mention the sweet, crumbly topping?
The crumb topping is my favorite part of any coffee cake, and this one features chopped pecans, brown sugar and a hint of cinnamon.
Even better, there’s a ribbon of the crumb topping through the center of the cake. And if that doesn’t sound like the perfect banana cake, everything is topped off with a powdered sugar glaze, just in case.
This is one of those cakes that seems so simple, and yet the results are exceptional.
We ate it for breakfast, snacks, and every moment in between. Every time my family passed by this cake sitting on the counter, they’d grab a bite and comment on how good it was.
So I think it’s safe to say this Banana Bread Coffee Cake will be making a regular appearance at my house!
Be sure to save this fabulous banana cake recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Banana Bread Coffee Cake
Banana bread and coffee cake come together in this delicious recipe, featuring a cinnamon infused crumb topping and a powdered sugar glaze.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
For the cake:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
For the crumb filling and topping:
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/5 teaspoons cinnamon
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl combine mashed bananas and butter. Stir in granulated sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- Alternately stir flour mixture and buttermilk into banana mixture, starting and ending with flour.
- To make crumbs: combine all the ingredients and cut with a fork or pastry cutter until mixture resembles coarse sand.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan. Top with 1/3 of the crumb mixture. Cover with the remaining batter and top with remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes until the center is set and a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Combine ingredients for glaze and drizzle over top of cake.
- Serving Size: 12
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Best Banana Muffins
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Cookies and Cups