CHICKEN AND SPINACH ENCHILADAS — A cheesy chicken and spinach mixture is rolled in flour tortillas and baked in a creamy green chile sauce.
We love enchiladas of all kinds at my house! Which means I’m always trying out new enchilada recipes, and these Chicken and Spinach Enchiladas are definitely a new favorite.
With no canned soups and a healthy dose of greens, I feel good about feeding them to my family (just try not to think about all that cheese and sour cream).
One of my favorite things about enchiladas is that they can almost always be made ahead of time. So if I know I’ll have a busy evening, I can get these ready in the morning and just pop them in the oven when it’s time for dinner.
I like to use a supermarket rotisserie chicken when I make enchiladas to save on prep time, but you could certainly cook your own chicken.
Enchiladas also make great leftovers, and they freeze well too. If you have the time, I highly recommend doubling the recipe and putting a pan in the freezer for later.
The homemade, creamy sauce is the perfect accompaniment to the chicken, spinach and mozzarella cheese.
Any time I can feed my kids spinach without complaining, I know I’ve got a winning recipe on my hands, and my whole family loved these enchiladas!
You can definitely add more spinach to these enchiladas if you’d like. And while you’re at it, why not more cheese?
I like to sprinkle my finished enchiladas with some chopped fresh cilantro, but sliced red onions and even chopped tomatoes are also wonderful.
These enchiladas will definitely be making a regular appearance on my menu. I hope you love them as much as we did.
Be sure to save this Chicken and Spinach Enchiladas recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Equipment you’ll need to make this recipe:
Check out more of my essential kitchen tools.
Chicken and Spinach Enchiladas
A cheesy chicken and spinach mixtures is rolled in flour tortillas and baked in a creamy green chile sauce.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6-8 cups fresh baby spinach
- 4 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 (4 oz.) can diced green chilies
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 10-12 small flour or corn tortillas
- Fresh chopped cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish. Place cooked, shredded chicken in a large bowl.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onions and garlic until soft, 3-5 minutes. Add spinach and saute a few minutes more until wilted. Stir spinach mixture into chicken, along with 1/2 cup of the cheese.
- To the same skillet, melt the butter. Stir in the flour. Whisk in the chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Stir in the cumin and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook until broth is thickened, then stir in the green chiles, sour cream and lime juice. Stir 1 cup of the sauce to the chicken and spinach mixture.
- Spread about 1/3 cup of the sauce in the bottom of the prepared pan. Divide the chicken mixture between the tortillas and roll up tightly. Place seam side down in the pan.
- Pour remaining sauce over the enchiladas and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Cover with foil and bake for about 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 10-15 minutes more, or until cheese is bubbly and enchiladas are golden brown. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro, if desired.
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Taste of the South