SLOW COOKER CHICKEN CURRY — This coconut milk based chicken curry simmers all day in the slow cooker for an easy, flavorful dinner. Serve with your favorite toppings!
I love curry! Like, a lot. If I can order it when we eat out, I do! I’ve tried a lot of curry recipes at home too, and although I’m sure it’s not authentic, this Slow Cooker Chicken Curry is one of my favorites.
It’s just so easy, and even my husband, who isn’t a fan of curry, likes it!
There are so many different versions of curry, but my favorite curries are the ones than incorporate coconut milk. I just love the creamy taste and texture.
I like to keep the dish itself pretty simple, with mostly chicken and potatoes, then let everyone add garnishes like peanuts and green onions themselves.
I used yellow potatoes in this recipe, but red or even Russett would work too. I also like to add a dash of cayenne, and it really isn’t all that spicy, but feel free to skip that, or add more if you prefer a really spicy dish.
But don’t skip browning the chicken. It adds great color and flavor, especially when you’re using a slow cooker.
We like to serve this over Jasmine or Basmati rice, but I even love it on its own! And it’s so easy to just throw it all in the slow cooker and walk away.
This chicken curry is true comfort food, and once I have it in the slow cooker and the smell is wafting through the house, I can hardly wait for dinner to be served!
Be sure to save this Slow Cooker Chicken Curry recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
This coconut milk based chicken curry simmers all day in the slow cooker for an easy, flavorful dinner. Serve with your favorite toppings!
- 3-4 medium yellow potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 (13.5 oz.) can coconut milk
- 5 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chicken bullion granules
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Hot cooked rice, for serving
- Chopped peanuts, raisins, sliced green onions, and/or flaked coconut, for garnish
- Lightly grease the bowl of a slow cooker and add potatoes and onion.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the chicken on all sides until golden brown. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, curry powder, cayenne, garlic, bullion, salt and pepper. Pour over chicken in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours.
- About 30-40 minutes before serving, turn slow cooker to high heat and stir in cream. Just before serving, stir in cilantro.
- Serve over cooked rice with peanuts, raisins, coconut and sliced green onions.
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: This is an original recipe.