I don’t know why it never occurred to me to add blueberries to my cornbread, but oh my heavens is this stuff ever good! I was tempted to call it Blueberry Cornbread Cake, because it was almost dessert-like.
But I didn’t want to limit myself to only eating it after dinner. Because it’s absolutely amazing!
If you think about it, blueberries and cornbread are a perfect flavor combination. A match made in heaven, you might say. This was one of those recipes that disappeared within hours.
No one could resist walking by the pan without grabbing a bite! I think I enjoyed it most for breakfast–it reminded me a bit of coffee cake–but I definitely indulged all day long!
Besides tasting delicious, this is a wonderfully moist cornbread, thanks to the blueberries, I’m sure. I haven’t tried this using frozen berries, but I would recommend sticking with fresh. I think it might be a little soggy otherwise.
I like to toss my berries in my dry ingredients before adding them to the batter. I find it helps keep them from all sinking to the bottom of the pan. And this is definitely one of those recipes where you don’t want to over-mix!
While I do love baking my cornbread in a cast iron skillet, I found this version turned out best when I baked it in an 8-inch square pan. A 9-inch pan will work as well, but I love the extra thickness I get with the slightly smaller pan.
Friends, I can not encourage you strongly enough to try this blueberry cornbread. You can thank me later.
Traditional cornbread gets even better with the addition of sweet blueberries.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups blueberries
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease an 8-inch square baking dish.
- In a large bowl, mix cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add blueberries and toss to coat.
- In a separate large bowl, beat eggs, milk, oil and sour cream or yogurt until smooth. Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Be sure to save this delicious blueberry recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later!
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from All Recipes