SLOW COOKER BARBECUE RIBS — Baby back pork ribs are cooked in the slow cooker until they’re fall-off-the-bone tender, then finished with a barbecue sauce glaze.
I’m not sure why, but making ribs has always intimidated me. I love them though, so I decided to take the plunge and start with something I was pretty sure I couldn’t mess up–ribs in the slow cooker.
Wow! These Slow Cooker Barbecue Ribs were nothing short of amazing! I’m kicking myself for not having tried them sooner.
LOVE this recipe! I’ve made a few recipes in the past that never turned out great, but this one is phenomenal! Easy, flavorful, tender– the whole package!
I’ve made it a couple times now, and it’s become my go-to for ribs. I’m glad to know I’ll never need to try another ribs recipe! ~ Ali
These ribs were fall off the bone tender and delicious, and better than anything we’ve ever had in a restaurant. My family thought so too.
The secret, after your ribs have cooked, is broiling them for a few minutes to get so that your barbecue sauce thickens and caramelizes.
I’m sure if I could have fit any more ribs in my slow cooker, my boys would have devoured them all!
We like Sweet Baby Ray’s barbecue sauce, but feel free to use your favorite. Other than that, there’s not much more to say. These ribs are just so easy and hassle-free. It really is hard to mess them up.
I may just have the confidence now to try a more traditional method of cooking ribs, but I’m not sure I even want to bother.
If you’ve never tried making ribs at home, this is the place to start.
It was so much easier than I thought it would be, and I know my family will be enjoying delicious, home-cooked baby back ribs for years to come!
These ribs are so good, I may just stick with the slow cooker method!
Be sure to save this recipe for Slow Cooker Barbecue Ribs to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Slow Cooker Barbecue Ribs
- Pork ribs
- Barbecue sauce
- Spices: paprika, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper, onion powder, garlic powder
- Liquid smoke
Slow Cooker Barbecue Ribs
Baby back pork ribs are cooked in the slow cooker until they’re fall-off-the-bone tender, then finished with a barbecue sauce glaze.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Total Time: 6 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- 3-4 pounds baby back pork ribs
- 2 (18 oz.) bottles barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- In a medium bowl, whisk together brown sugar, paprika, cayenne, salt, onion powder, garlic powder and pepper. Rub spice mixture over ribs. Cut the ribs into 2-3 sections, with 4-6 ribs each.
- Lightly grease a large, oval slow cooker. Place ribs standing up in the slow cooker, with the meatiest part leaning against the walls of the slow cooker.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together all of the barbecue sauce and the liquid smoke. Pour the mixture over the ribs in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Just before serving, preheat broiler. Remove ribs to a lightly greased, foil lined baking sheet. Pour the sauce from the slow cooker into medium saucepan. Simmer sauce for about 10 minutes, or until reduced and thickened.
- Brush thickened sauce over ribs and broil for 2-3 minutes, or until sauce begins to bubble and caramelize.
Keywords: barbecue, ribs, pork
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Real Food by Dad