Nothing says summer to me like fresh strawberries. Unless it’s a fresh strawberry pie. I just love all of those sweet, ripe strawberries piled high in a flaky crust and covered in a sweet and tangy glaze. When it comes to the perfect dessert for a backyard barbecue or neighborhood potluck, this beautiful Strawberry Lemon Pie is about as summery as a pie can get!
There are so many ways to make fresh strawberry pie. In fact, I don’t think I’ve every tried a strawberry pie I didn’t like, but this version, with a homemade glaze and a hit of lemon and fresh mint, is my absolute favorite. I can’t think of a sweeter, more refreshing way to celebrate summer.
If you have the time, feel free to make your favorite homemade pie crust for this pie. I’m not ashamed to say I use frozen or refrigerated crust most of the time. I’m forever trying to achieve a balance between simple and delicious in my kitchen, and prepared pie crust is one of the ways I achieve that balance. So believe me, I won’t judge.
This pie is wonderful on its own, or with a dollop of whipped cream on top. One tip: this pie is best eaten the day it’s made. After too long, the juices from the berries start to soften up the crust, so I recommend eating it within 4-5 hours. But don’t worry, you won’t have any trouble finishing it off!
Strawberry Lemon Pie
- 1 prepared crust for a single crust pie
- 8-9 cups fresh strawberries, stemmed and halved, divided
- 1/2 cup water
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Red food coloring, optional
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, divided
- Fresh mint leaves, for garnish
- To prepare the glaze, combine 1 1/2 cups of the strawberries and the water in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together sugar and cornstarch. Add the strawberry puree and mix well.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture is thick and bubbly. Cook and stir for about 2 minutes more. Remove from heat and stir in food coloring (if using) and 1 teaspoon lemon zest. Cool for 10 minutes without stirring.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining strawberries and the glaze, tossing gently to coat strawberries. Transfer the strawberry mixture to the prepared pie crust.
- Chill pie for 1-2 hours, or until set. Before serving, garnish with remaining lemon zest and fresh mint leaves.
Total time includes chilling.
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens