When it comes to eating gluten-free, I don’t need to, but honestly, I feel so much better when I do. I recently served this Penne with Spinach, Sausage and Swiss to my family, and no one even noticed that I’d switched up our regular pasta with Barilla® Gluten Free Penne.
This hearty pasta skillet also included spinach and Aidells® Chicken and Apple Sausage, along with some Swiss cheese in creamy sauce.
It’s the kind of meal my boys love, and my husband kept commenting on how good the sausage was!
After everyone had gone back for seconds, I told them I’d used gluten-free pasta. They were all surprised and said they couldn’t tell the difference!
Barilla® gluten-free pastas are made with a delicious blend of corn and rice, and have that classic pasta taste and texture.
Just ask my family! In fact, Barilla® is the #1 gluten-free pasta brand according to Neilson. I know I feel good about using it in my favorite pasta dishes!
I picked up my pasta and sausage, along with the other ingredients for my dish, on my last visit to Target.
It was one of those shopping trips where I had four things on my list, but there were so many cute things in the dollar spot…..you know how that goes, right?
But back to the recipe! I started out by cooking the pasta according to the package directions.
While that simmered, I sliced up my sausage and browned it in a large skillet. The Aidells® Chicken and Apple Sausage is some of the best I’ve ever had!
See those little chunks of apple in the meat? That’s because all Aidells® sausages are hand-crafted in small batches with real, hand-picked ingredients.
They’re also gluten-free and contain no nitrites or added hormones.
Once my sausage was done, I removed it to a plate and kept it warm while I mixed up the sauce.
Then I added some fresh spinach, the cooked pasta, and returned the sausage to the skillet.
I topped it all of with some shredded Swiss cheese (it was perfect with the chicken sausage!) and put it under the broiler for a few minutes until it was brown and bubbly.
This easy pasta dinner is definitely going into the regular menu rotation, and so are Barilla® Gluten Free Pasta and Aidells® sausage.
I can’t wait to try them in more recipes!
- 12 ounces Barilla Gluten Free Penne
- 1 package Aidells Chicken and Apple Sausage
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons gluten free flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 3-4 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste,
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- While pasta cooks, preheat a large, oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Slice the sausage into rounds and cook in the skillet until browned. Remove to a plate and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, melt the butter. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 1-2 minutes. Whisk in the flour and cook a few minutes more.
- Whisk the chicken broth and half & half into the skillet and bring to a simmer. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until sauce is well thickened. Stir in Swiss cheese until melted and smooth.
- Add the spinach to the sauce and cook a few minutes longer, until the spinach is just wilted. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Return the sausage to the skillet, along with the cooked pasta, and toss to coat everything well. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the pasta and place under the broiler for about 2 minutes, or until cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Serving Size: 6
Be sure to save this Penne with Spinach, Sausage and Swiss recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Barilla® & Aidells®. The opinions and text are all mine.