I love a good chicken pot pie, and we’ve tried a lot of variations on the classic pot pie recipe over the years. We’ve sampled chicken pot pie from the slow cooker, chicken pot pie topped with biscuits and puff pastry, and even chicken pot pie soup. But this Cheesy Chicken Pot Pie with Hashbrown Crust is our new favorite!
First of all, what’s not to love about having hashbrowns for dinner? My family would probably eat hashbrowns every day! Especially when they’re nice and crispy on the outside! And since I always include potatoes in traditional chicken pot pie, it only seemed natural to make the crust out of potatoes. This pot pie incorporates two of my favorite comfort foods into one delicious dish!
I used Hungry Jack Hashbrowns in this recipe and they were just perfect! I stuck with the original hashbrowns for my pot pie, but they also come in Cheesy and new Black Pepper and Onion flavor too!
There are so many things I love about these hashbrowns. First, I can keep them in my pantry. Then when the craving strikes, I just add water and I’m ready to cook up restaurant-style hashbrowns in minutes–no peeling and grating all those potatoes! Who has time for that?
I also love that these hashbrowns are kid friendly. Not only can my kids can make them, they love to eat them too! My boys go on lots of camping trips, and they can’t wait to take some Hungry Jack Hashbrowns on their next outdoor excursion. And of course, I love that Hungry Jack Hashbrowns are made with 100% real potatoes.
To make my pot pie crust, I re-hydrated a few boxes of Hungry Jack Hashbrowns, then mixed them with melted butter and pressed them into a 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Then I put my crust in the oven to brown for a bit while I made my pot pie filling. Don’t forget to save a few hashbrowns to sprinkle on top!
To make this meal super easy, I used a shredded rotisserie chicken and some frozen veggies, but you could definitely cook your own chicken and vegetables ahead of time. My family couldn’t get enough of this unique pot pie creation. This definitely won’t be the last time we put a spin on our dinnertime favorites with Hungry Jack Hashbrowns!
Cheesy Chicken Pot Pie with Hashbrown Crust
For the crust
- 2 cartons Hungry Jack Original Hashbrowns
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
For the filling
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 2-3 cups frozen vegetables, thawed (peas, carrots, corn, etc.)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Hydrate hashbrowns according to package directions.
- Add re-hydrated hashbrowns to a medium bowl and toss with melted butter. Reserve 1 cup of hashbrowns. Press remaining hashbrowns into the bottom and up the sides of a 9 x13 inch baking dish. Bake for about 15 minutes while you prepare the filling, or until hashbrowns are just becoming golden brown.
- To make the filling, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until tender, 3-5 minutes. Stir in flour and cook a minute or two more.
- Whisk chicken broth into skillet, then stir in cream. Continue stirring and bring to a simmer to thicken sauce. Stir in chicken, vegetables, thyme, salt and pepper. Simmer for about 5 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Stir in 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese.
- Remove crust from oven. Pour chicken filling over crust. Sprinkle remaining hashbrowns and remaining cheddar cheese over filling. Return to the oven and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbling.Before serving, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and parsley.
If you love the idea of having hashbrowns for dinner, you’ll definitely want to enter into the Hungry Jack Hashbrowns for Dinner Contest between May 9 – June 19. Vote for my recipe photos for a chance to win a grand prize trip to a NASCAR race on the Hungry Jack website. And don’t forget to use this store locator to find out where you can get some Hungry Jack Hashbrowns of your own! I’d love to hear how you’d enjoy hashbrowns for dinner!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.