I love a good chicken salad sandwich. Which means I’ve tried a lot of chicken salad recipes over the years, and this one is definitely my Favorite Chicken Salad. You’ll recognize the traditional chicken salad ingredients, like mayonnaise, celery, and of course, chicken.
I’ve been putting grapes in chicken salad for years, so I consider that pretty traditional too. But what makes this chicken salad a little different (and more delicious!) than the rest are things like shredded Swiss cheese and poultry seasoning.
I usually go the easy route and use a shredded rotisserie chicken, but you can always cook your own chicken, or use leftover. This recipe is pretty forgiving too. If you don’t have the exact amount of grapes or celery, don’t worry.
And of course, how much mayonnaise to add is really a matter of personal preference. I’ve shared the amount I like to use, but feel free to adapt things to suit your tastes.
My favorite way to eat this is on a fresh croissant, but it’s also wonderful sandwiched between two slices of whole grain bread. And it’s pretty tasty on its own.
This is the kind of recipe that’s perfect for brunches, baby showers and summer picnics. It makes enough to serve a small crowd, so feel free to half the recipe if you’re just making it for one or two.
Every one needs a great chicken salad recipe in their collection, and as far as I’m concerned, this is the one! I hope you love it as much as I do.Print
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 6 cups cooked diced chicken
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 cups green grapes, halved
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, salt, poultry seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, pepper, and lemon juice.
- In a large bowl, toss together the chicken, celery, green onions, Swiss cheese, and grapes. Add the mayonnaise mixture, and stir to coat. Chill until serving.
- Serving Size: 8
If you like this recipe, I think you’ll also love my Bulgur Apple Salad with Cranberries and Almonds.
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from All Recipes