I’ve always been a fan of Tater Tots. And breakfast casseroles. So this Tater Tot Breakfast Bake is right up my alley. My husband and boys are all fans of breakfast casseroles too (it’s the only way some of them will eat eggs), and they all agreed that this version is “way better” than the breakfast casseroles that use day old bread. Think of it as putting hash browns in your breakfast casserole. I used sage sausage and some Southwest seasonings in this version of the recipe, but there are so many ways you could switch things up. Think ham and fresh herbs, or different kinds of cheese. The possibilities are endless! This is the perfect dish for a weekend breakfast or Easter brunch, and if you happen to have leftovers, they’re great reheated the next morning. I think we’ve eaten this for dinner more than we have for breakfast. And if you’re not feeding a crowd, you can easily half the recipe and bake it in a 9-inch square pan. This one is definitely going into the favorites file!
- 1 (32 ounce) package frozen Tater Tots
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 eggs
- 3/4 cup Half & Half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2-3 green onions, chopped
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat an oven to 450 degrees. Arrange Tater Tots in a single layer on a large baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until potato nuggets are crispy, 17-20 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook sausage, onion, chili powder, basil, and garlic until sausage is browned and crumbly and onion is soft; drain grease.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, Half & Half, salt and pepper. Stir in the green onions.
- Arrange Tater Tots in the prepared baking dish; sprinkle with half of the cheese. Spread sausage mixture evenly over the cheese layer. Pour egg mixture over sausage layer and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cover and bake in the preheated oven until set in the middle, about 30-35 minutes. Uncover and bake 5-10 minutes more, until golden brown. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size: 16
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from All Recipes
Follow my Breakfast & Brunch Board on Pinterest for more recipe ideas.