When we moved to our neighborhood several years ago, we started hosting an Easter egg hunt as a fun way to get to know our neighbors. As my kids got older, they loved hiding the eggs for the neighborhood kids as much as they loved finding them. Of course, delicious food makes any get-together better, so if you’re hosting your own Easter egg hunt, ask the grown ups to bring a favorite springtime treat to share. This Jumbo Lemon Sweet Roll would be perfect to take along to any Easter brunch or get-together.
I baked up this fluffy lemon pastry with Bob’s Red Mill Organic Unbleached White Flour. I always notice a difference in my baked goods when I use a high-quality flour like Bob’s Red Mill. Their white flour is the same high protein flour used by professional bakers because it produces high, well-textured loaves of bread and light, airy baked goods. It’s a kitchen staple that’s perfect for all of your baking needs.
To make this Jumbo Lemon Sweet Roll, I used my favorite cinnamon roll dough, but filled it with a lemon curd and cream cheese mixture. Then I cut long strips of the filled dough and twisted them before arranging them in a 9-inch pie pan.
You can also use this recipe to make regular sweet rolls, but there’s just something fun about a giant pastry! Look for lemon curd near the pie filling in your local grocery store. It usually comes in a glass jar and looks a lot like lemon meringue pie filling.
Once the sweet roll is baked, simply finish it off with a powdered sugar and lemon glaze. I find the easiest way to serve this is to cut into into wedges, like a pie. My boys loved this for breakfast so much, I actually made it twice in one week! And I can definitely see it becoming an Easter brunch tradition.
Jumbo Lemon Sweet Roll
For the dough1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons rapid rise (instant) yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg white
For the filling2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup lemon curd
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons sugar
For the glaze1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Grease a 9-inch pie plate and set aside.
- To make the dough, place the milk and butter in a small saucepan and heat over medium low heat until the butter is melted and the milk is warm. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix together 1 1/2 cups of flour, instant yeast, 2 tablespoons sugar, and salt. Add the egg white and the milk mixture to the flour mixture and continue to mix until thoroughly combined.
- Gradually add the remaining 1/4 cup flour or until dough starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl (you may not use all the flour). Continue to knead the dough for 5 minutes. Place dough on a lightly floured work surface and let rest for 10 minutes while you prepare the filling.
- To make the filling, combine the cream cheese, lemon curd and lemon zest in a small bowl and mix well.
- Roll the dough into a 12 inch square, spread the lemon filling over the dough and sprinkle with the 2 tablespoons of sugar. Fold the dough in half, then cut the filled dough into 5 long strips.Twist each dough strip.
- Beginning in the center of the pie pan, arrange the strips in a spiral pattern, pinching ends together as you go. Cover and let stand in a warm place 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake the sweet roll for 20-25 minutes, or until golden. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack while you prepare the glaze.
- To make the glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Add more lemon juice, as needed, until glaze reaches desired consistency. Spread or drizzle glaze over still warm sweet roll.
Recipe NotesPrep time includes rise time.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.