With three boys involved in various sports and after school activities, I can never have too many quick week night dinner ideas in my recipe collection. I also keep a well-stocked pantry, so I have ingredients on hand for easy, no-hassle dishes like this Easiest Ever Black Bean Soup. Really! You’re not going to believe how easy and flavorful this soup is.
Along with things like baking supplies, pasta and rice, my pantry staples include canned goods like beans, a variety of tomatoes, and enchilada sauce.
Canned goods help save me so much prep time, so even on hectic evenings I can whip up a quick, nutritious meal for my family.
Another great reason to keep a selection of canned goods in your pantry: they’re typically half the cost of frozen and 15 – 20% less than fresh. That’s important when you’re feeding a house full of hungry teenage boys!
I had to stop in at the drugstore for some prescriptions recently, and since our local Albertsons is right next door, I made sure to stop in and stock up on some of our favorite canned foods.
We love Tex-Mex style food, and there are so many quick, tasty dishes you can create with a few simple canned ingredients like these.
This Easiest Ever Black Bean soup is a perfect example of what you can do with a few cans and some fresh produce. I just add some onion, garlic and fresh cilantro to my canned ingredients and dinner is on the table in no time.
The trick to making this soup so fast yet so flavorful is the enchilada sauce and the diced tomatoes and green chilies. They add instant spice and seasoning without a lot of dicing and measuring. I
rarely even add additional salt and pepper to this soup. It’s that good!
I like to warm up some crusty bread while the soup simmers for a hearty, filling meal. If you have time, a side salad is another great addition.
Tortillas or corn chips are another one of our favorite accompaniments.
This soup is so quick and easy, I often make it for myself for lunch and enjoy it for several days. When I’m feeding the whole family, I usually double the recipe.
And I never complain about having leftovers. Like I said, they make a great lunch the next day.
We like to top our soup with a dollop of sour cream and more fresh cilantro. Really, any of your favorite taco toppings would be great stirred into this soup.
Best of all, I can have this on the table in about 20 minutes. Dinner just doesn’t get any faster than that!
Easiest Ever Black Bean Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 (15 oz.) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (10 oz.) can green enchilada sauce
- 1 (10 oz.) can diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- Sour cream, for garnish (optional)
- In a medium Dutch oven over medium heat, saute onion and garlic until tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in chicken broth and bring to a simmer.
- Place a can of beans, the green enchilada sauce and the diced tomatoes and green chilies in a blender and puree until smooth. Add to the pot with the chicken stock.
- Add the remaining 2 cans of beans to the pot and simmer for a additional 5-10 minutes. Just before serving, stir in cilantro.
- Top with sour cream and additional cilantro before serving, if desired.
- Serving Size: 6
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Albertsons. The opinions and text are all mine.