EASY SHRIMP AND CORN CHOWDER — Loaded with shrimp, corn and melted cheese, this hearty seafood chowder comes together in 30 minutes or less!
Shrimp is one of our favorite ways to enjoy seafood, and this Easy Shrimp and Corn Chowder really hit the spot!
It’s been about three years since we had a snow day in this part of Colorado, and then we had two in the last few months! So warm, hearty soups have been making a regular appearance on the menu.
This chowder was so easy! I used fully cooked, frozen thawed shrimp, but uncooked would work too. Just let it simmer long enough to thoroughly cook the shrimp (which shouldn’t be too long–shrimp cooks quickly).
If you don’t have fontina cheese, any white cheese that melts well will work. And canned corn is fine in place of the frozen.
We like things spicy, so I added a bit of extra cayenne, but you could certainly add less for a milder soup.
My whole family loved this, and I love that it was on the table in about 30 minutes!
Be sure to save this Easy Shrimp and Corn Chowder recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Easy Shrimp and Corn Chowder
Loaded with shrimp, corn and melted cheese, this hearty seafood chowder comes together in 30 minutes or less!
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red or yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (12 oz.) bag frozen corn, thawed (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 1 1/2 pounds fully cooked, frozen shrimp, thawed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- In a large stock pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, peppers, celery and garlic and cook until vegetables are just tender, 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the broth, thyme, paprika, cayenne and corn. Simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the flour and cream in a blender and puree until smooth. Gradually whisk the flour mixture into the soup and continue to simmer until soup begins to thicken. Stir in the cheese until melted.
- Add the shrimp and simmer for another 5-7 minutes, or until shrimp is heated through (or fully cooked if you are using raw). Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Just before serving, stir in the lemon juice and parsley.
Keywords: shrimp, corn, chowder
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: This is an original recipe.