I love a creamy, hearty chicken noodle soup, and this Italian Chicken Noodle Soup is perfect for a chilly winter day.
It has a creamy tomato broth and is loaded with sautéed veggies, chicken and pasta. Best of all, it comes together in about 30 minutes and my whole family loves it!
I like to use Ditalini pasta in this recipe, but small shells or even orzo work great.
You can cook and shred your own chicken to use in this soup, but I always opt for a rotisserie chicken to speed things along.
Serve this with some crusty bread and you’ve got an easy, heartwarming meal for a cold night. This soup is what comfort food is all about!Print
- 3 cups uncooked small pasta (Ditalini, small shells, etc.)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cups Half & Half
- 1/4 fresh basil, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, add butter to a large pot over medium heat and saute onions, carrots, celery and garlic until vegetables are tender. Stir in flour and cook a few minutes longer.
- Whisk in chicken stock and simmer until liquid begins to thicken slightly. Add cooked chicken, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes and Half & Half. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in cooked pasta, chopped basil and Parmesan cheese. Garnish with basil and additional Parmesan, if desired.
- Serving Size: 8
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Carlsbad Cravings