CREAMY ITALIAN CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP — Featuring a creamy broth loaded with chicken, pasta and vegetables, this savory chicken noodle soup is the ultimate comfort food on a cold day.
I love a creamy, hearty chicken noodle soup, and this Italian Chicken Noodle Soup is perfect for a chilly winter day.
It has a creamy tomato broth and is loaded with sautéed veggies, chicken and pasta. Best of all, it comes together in about 30 minutes and my whole family loves it!
I like to use Ditalini pasta–you know, this short, tiny tubes–in this recipe, but small shells or even orzo would work great too. So would regular egg noodles, or almost any kind of pasta, so feel free to throw in whatever you have on hand.
You can cook and shred your own chicken to use in this soup, but I always opt for a rotisserie chicken to speed things along. Come to think of it, a vegetarian version of this soup would be amazing too!
Serve this Creamy Italian Chicken Noodle Soup with some crusty bread and you’ve got an easy, heartwarming meal for a chilly fall or winter night. This soup is what comfort food is all about!Print
Creamy Italian Chicken Noodle Soup
Featuring a creamy broth loaded with chicken, pasta and vegetables, this savory chicken noodle soup is the ultimate comfort food on a cold day.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
- 3 cups uncooked small pasta (Ditalini, small shells, etc.)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cups Half & Half
- 1/4 fresh basil, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, add butter to a large pot over medium heat and saute onions, carrots, celery and garlic until vegetables are tender. Stir in flour and cook a few minutes longer.
- Whisk in chicken stock and simmer until liquid begins to thicken slightly. Add cooked chicken, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes and Half & Half. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in cooked pasta, chopped basil and Parmesan cheese. Garnish with basil and additional Parmesan, if desired.
Keywords: chicken, noodle, soup, italian
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Carlsbad Cravings