We aren’t big French toast fans at my house. But apparently the problem is that I’ve been making it wrong all these years. Specifically, I’ve been using the wrong ingredients! Instead of regular old French toast, what you really need is some Blueberry Muffin French Toast.
I recently made French toast with day old jumbo blueberry muffins (like the kind you can get at Costco) and it was a huge hit!
I originally intended to serve this French toast with syrup, but it’s plenty sweet on it’s own. A dusting of powdered sugar is all it needs. Whipped cream and fresh berries would be delicious too.
You do have to cut off the muffin tops and eat them, but I certainly didn’t have a problem with that!
To say my family loved this breakfast would be an understatement.
We’re already thinking about what other muffins flavors we can turn into French toast. I vote for chocolate muffins, topped with strawberries and whipped cream.Print
- 4 day-old jumbo blueberry muffins
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup Half & Half
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Confectioners’ sugar, optional
- Trim rounded tops off muffins (save to eat later). Cut remaining muffins horizontally into 1/2 inch slices.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk eggs, Half & Half, vanilla, cinnamon and salt. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat.
- Dip muffin slices in egg mixture and place in skillet. Cook 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
- Serving Size: 6
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Taste of Home