SLOW COOKER CHICKEN BURRITO FILLING — Chicken, rice, black beans and corn come together in this hearty slow cooker burrito filling!
My former college roommate Becky shared this recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Filling with me a few months ago and I’ve made it at least four times since then (that’s a lot for someone who doesn’t repeat recipes often).
I live in a houseful of teen and pre-teen boys, after all, so any recipe that can be described with phrases like “super easy,” “makes a ton,” and “burritos” is going to be a hit!
I adapted Becky’s recipe slightly to suit my family’s tastes and to use what I had on hand. The original version used 2 cans of beans, but I knew my kids would like it better with just one can.
If you’d like, stir in some fresh cilantro, chopped green onions, or a bit of lime juice just before serving.
You can cook regular rice and add it before serving, or used uncooked Minute Rice and put it right into the slow cooker. That’s what’s so great about this recipe–it’s so easy to adapt!
This is one of the easiest dinner recipes in my repertoire. Even better, it makes enough to feed us for two days, and the leftovers also make great lunches for my college student.
Becky recommended serving it with Cilantro Lime Dressing, and I definitely agree!Print
Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Filling
Chicken, rice, black beans and corn come together in this hearty slow cooker burrito filling!
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 5 hours
- Total Time: 5 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 8-10 servings
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1-2 cans (15 oz.) black or pinto beans (or one of each), drained
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1 (10 oz.) can green enchilada sauce
- 1 (16 oz.) jar salsa
- 1 (4 oz.) can diced green chilies
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cups cooked rice (or 1.5 cups uncooked Minute Rice)
- Chopped cilantro and/or green onions, optional
- 1-2 tablespoons lime juice, optional
- Tortillas, for serving
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
- Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing
- Add beans, corn, enchilada sauce, salsa, green chilies and chicken breasts to a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 4-5 hours.
- Twenty minutes before serving, remove chicken breasts from the slow cooker and shred. Add cooked rice (or uncooked Minute Rice), along with shredded chicken, to the slow cooker and stir. Just before serving stir in cilantro, green onions and lime juice, if using. Serve in warm tortillas with optional toppings.
Keywords: burrito, rice, chicken
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: My college roommate Becky