Chocolate and peppermint might just be my favorite holiday flavor combination. So it only seemed natural to combine them in a festive holiday cookie. These rich chocolate cookies are studded with mini chocolate chips, then drizzled with two kinds of chocolate and sprinkled with crushed peppermint candies. They’re everything a Christmas cookie should be! I do definitely recommend using the mini chocolate chips in this recipe. I’ve tried using regular chocolate chips and because these cookies are flattened before baking, they just don’t work well. You could also used chopped chocolate, or just leave the chips out all together. The cookies will still be delicious! These chocolate peppermint treats went quickly at my house! I think they’re destined to become a holiday tradition.
Triple Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 3 ounces white baking chocolate, chopped
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup crushed peppermint candies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, then vanilla.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder. Gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in chocolate chips, if using.
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls and place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. With the bottom of a glass, flatten cookies into 2-inch rounds. Bake for 6-8 minutes or until just set (do not overbake). Cool on pans for 5 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- Place white chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and melt at 50% power until smooth. Drizzle over cookies. Repeat with semisweet chocolate. (If chocolate is hard to drizzle, add a teaspoon or so of canola oil). Sprinkle tops of cookies with crushed candy canes and let stand until chocolate is set.
- Serving Size: 36
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Taste of Home