HOMEMADE PEPPERMINT PATTIES — Cool and creamy peppermint filling dipped in chocolate, these peppermint patties are perfect for the holiday season!
My whole family loves Peppermint Patties! I always buy them for our Christmas stockings, along with a few extra bags to stash away in the freezer.
Which is why I’m so excited about this recipe for Homemade Peppermint Patties. These taste just like the real thing, only better! And you probably already have a lot the ingredients in your pantry.
The filling was just perfect. In fact, I had a hard time not sampling it before I dipped the patties in chocolate.
The dipping was a little tricky, because you have to freeze the filling first, which sometimes caused the chocolate to freeze to the fork I was using to dip.
I just kept a sharp knife handy to slide the peppermint patties off the fork if they stuck.
I recommend using dark chocolate for dipping. I always use the Ghirardelli candy melts, but feel free to use whatever kind of dipping chocolate you prefer.
I like to drizzle a bit of chocolate over the patties once they’ve set for a more professional looking finish. You can store these in a covered container at room temperature, but we prefer to keep them in the refrigerator.
Be sure to save this Homemade Peppermint Patties recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Homemade Peppermint Patties
- Marshmallow cream
- Peppermint extract
- Powdered sugar
Homemade Peppermint Patties
Cool and creamy peppermint filling dipped in chocolate, these peppermint patties are perfect for the holiday season!
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Total Time: 2 hours
- Yield: 2 dozen
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Freezer
- Cuisine: American
- 1 (7 oz.) jar marshmallow cream
- 10 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 5-5 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 16 ounces chocolate, chopped (I used Ghirardelli dipping chocolate)
- In a large bowl, mix marshmallow cream, butter, vanilla and peppermint with an electric mixer until well combined. Add the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, until filling is firm but still soft. You should be able to roll it into a ball with your hand (I usually use about 5 cups of powdered sugar).
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment or wax paper. Shape the filling into 1-inch balls and place on the baking sheet. Flatten the balls with a glass dipped in powdered sugar (or use the palm of your hand) to about 1/4 inch thick. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 2 hours, or overnight).
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave at 1 minute intervals on 50% power, stirring after each minute until fully melted and smooth. Dip the frozen peppermint patties in chocolate (you can rest them on the tines of a fork, or use a toothpick), then return them to the baking sheet to set.
Total time includes time to freeze filling.
Keywords: peppermint, chocolate
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Shugary Sweets