ULTIMATE CHICKEN TETRAZZINI — Linguine noodles in a creamy homemade sauce, with plenty of tender chicken and fresh mushrooms.
This Ultimate Chicken Tetrazzini is one of those favorite family recipes I’ve been making for years, but for some reason, am just now sharing with you on the blog.
It’s got all the makings of your classic comfort food dish, including pasta in a creamy sauce with a bread crumb topping.
Even though some of my kids don’t like mushrooms, I leave them in because I love them in this recipe (they just pick them out!).
Adding peas just before baking is also nice, but that doesn’t go over so well at my house, so I like to serve peas on the side. That way those who want to can stir them into the tetrazzini.
I also adapt this recipe often to use leftover Thanksgiving turkey. It’s a tried-and-true, long-time favorite around here, and I think you’re going to love it too!
This does make a lot, so be prepared for some leftovers–not that anyone will complain about eating this twice.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Ultimate Chicken Tetrazzini
- Olive oil
- Produce: mushrooms, onions, garlic
- Spices: thyme, nutmeg
- Whipping cream
- Chicken broth
- Parmesan cheese
- Italian-style breadcrumbs
Ultimate Chicken Tetrazzini
Linguine noodles in a creamy homemade sauce, with plenty of tender chicken and fresh mushrooms.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Italian
- 9 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 pound white mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 large onion, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 12 ounces linguine
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup dried Italian-style breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Spread 1 tablespoon of butter in a 9×13 baking dish. Melt 1 tablespoon each of butter and oil in a deep large nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the hot pan and cook until pale golden and just cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate to cool slightly. Coarsely shred the chicken into bite-size pieces.
- Meanwhile, add 1 tablespoon each of butter and oil to the same pan. Saute mushrooms, onion, garlic, and thyme, until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Transfer the mushroom mixture to the plate with the chicken.
- Melt 3 more tablespoons butter in the same pan over medium-low heat. Add the flour and whisk for 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk, cream, broth, nutmeg, and a dash of salt and pepper. Increase the heat to high. Bring to a boil and simmer, uncovered, until the sauce thickens slightly, whisking often, about 10 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the linguine and cook until it is tender but still firm about 9 minutes. Drain.
- Add the linguine to the sauce, along with the chicken and mushroom mixture. Toss until the sauce coats the pasta and the mixture is well blended. Transfer the pasta mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- Stir the cheese and breadcrumbs in a small bowl to blend and sprinkle over the pasta. Dot with the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter. Bake, uncovered, until golden brown on top and the sauce bubbles, about 20 minutes.
Keywords: chicken, pasta, tetrazzini
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Giada De Laurentiis