CHICKEN PARMESAN SOUP — All the flavors of the classic Italian chicken dish are packed into this hearty chicken soup. Finished off with croutons and Parmesan cheese, this soup is always a hit with kids and adults alike.
One of the things I look forward to most when cooler weather arrives is serving soup for dinner. Soup is such an easy meal, and always so comforting, and my husband declared this Chicken Parmesan Soup the best he’s had in a while!
The kids and I love this soup too. It’s hearty, filling, and has all the flavors of Chicken Parmesan. It’s definitely a keeper.
I like to use shells, or something curly, like rotini, to hold all the savory tomato based broth. This recipe is very forgiving though, so use whatever you have handy.
Traditional Chicken Parmesan, of course, uses breaded chicken. But that would just be weird in soup. So the “breading” comes in the form of crispy croutons on top of the soup.
And of course, you need a generous sprinkling of shaved or grated Parmesan cheese. It is Chicken Parmesan Soup, after all. We loved this soup and it will be appearing on our menu again very soon!
One handy tip: if you’re planning on leftovers, try serving the pasta on the side and letting people add their own. That way the pasta won’t be soggy the next day.
Be sure to save this Chicken Parmesan Soup recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Chicken Parmesan Soup
- Olive oil
- Produce: onion, garlic, fresh basil
- Spices: red pepper flakes, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper
- Chicken broth
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Tomato paste
- Parmesan cheese
Chicken Parmesan Soup
All the flavors of the classic Italian chicken dish are packed into this hearty chicken soup. Finished off with croutons and Parmesan cheese, this soup is always a hit with kids and adults alike.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 7 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2-3 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 2 (15 oz.) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 6 ounces pasta
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Croutons and additional Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the red pepper flakes and fennel and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the broth, chicken, tomatoes, tomato paste and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes before adding the pasta. Cook an additional 10-15 minutes or until the pasta is just tender.
- Add Parmesan cheese and stir until melted. Stir in fresh basil and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Garnish with croutons and additional Parmesan cheese before serving.
Keywords: chicken, parmesan, soup, croutons
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Closet Cooking