With cooler weather finally arriving in Colorado, soups and stews are once again making an appearance on my dinner menu. I love serving my family a warm, filling soup on a cold day. I served this hearty Tuscan Chicken & Sausage Stew last week when we had company for dinner and it got rave reviews from everyone!
One of my secrets for adding tons of flavor to tomato based soups is to start with a jar or two of pasta sauce.
Since they’re already fully seasoned, jarred sauces make soups and stews taste like they’ve been simmering all day. Bertolli’s Tomato & Basil Pasta Sauce was the perfect Tuscan-inspired base for this hearty Italian soup.
My husband and kids loved the big chunks of sausage and chicken in this stew. In fact, they hardly noticed the vegetables!
But just in case someone made a fuss about the carrots and spinach, I decided to serve up some pasta on the side. My boys decided to add the pasta to their soup for an extra filling meal, and they loved it that way.
So I definitely recommend making a side of your favorite pasta to go along with the stew. And don’t forget to top everything off with some fresh Parmesan cheese.
Of course, I love that besides being delicious, this soup is quick and easy. Starting with Bertolli sauce adds so much flavor in such a short amount of time. It really takes this soup to the next level.
Serve this up with a loaf of crusty Italian bread and you’ve got a satisfying meal your whole family will love.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 (24 oz.) jars Bertolli Tomato & Basil Pasta Sauce
- 2-3 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 (12 oz.) smoked sausage, sliced
- 2 (15 oz.) cans white beans, drained
- 1 cup half and half
- 3-4 cups chopped fresh spinach
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions, carrots, garlic and fresh herbs and saute until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and stir to remove any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Stir in the water and Bertolli sauce.
- Bring to a simmer and add the chicken, sausage and beans. Simmer for 10-15 minutes. Stir in the half and half, chopped spinach, and salt and pepper, to taste. Simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until spinach is wilted. Top with grated Parmesan cheese before serving, if desired.
This does make enough to serve a crowd, so you may want to half the recipe for a smaller group.
- Serving Size: 10
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Bertolli®. The opinions and text are all mine.