The weather is getting cooler, which means soup is starting to appear on my menu again. And this Slow Cooker Chicken Posole is a new favorite.
I also love that this recipe is great for picky eaters. I just serve all of the toppings and mix-ins on the side and let everyone add what they like
Radishes and avocado are my personal favorites, but I usually add all of the toppings.
This is definitely a soup we’ll be enjoying all season long!Print
For the soup4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (25 oz.) can hominy, drained
- 1 (10 oz.) cans diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 (10 oz.) can green enchilada sauce
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Optional toppingsLime wedges
- Sliced radishes
- Diced avocado
- Chopped onion or green onion
- Diced tomato
- Chopped cilantro
- Cotija cheese
- Hot sauce
- In the bowl of a slow cooker, combine the broth, hominy, diced tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, garlic and seasonings.
- Add the uncooked chicken breasts. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred. Return the chicken to the slow cooker, along with the 1/4 cup chopped cilantro. Season soup with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve with desired optional toppings.
- Serving Size: 8