I first made Meatball Sub Casserole over 20 years ago, when my husband and I were just married. (I made half the recipe back then). It was one of his favorites.
And then, somehow, I lost the recipe.
Sure enough, there were quite a few versions of Meatball Sub Casserole out there. This version seemed closest to the one I used to make. Sliced Italian bread is topped with a marinara sauce, meatballs and cheese for a hearty comfort food casserole that everyone will love!
My husband still loves it, and it was a big hit with the rest of the family too! And this time I’ll be sure to keep a copy of the recipe in a safe place!
Meatball Sub Casserole
- 1 loaf Italian bread, cut into 1-inch thick slices
- 1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 pound frozen meatballs, thawed
- 1 (28-oz.) jar pasta sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- Chopped fresh basil, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking pan. Arrange bread slices in a single layer in the prepared pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese, mayonnaise, basil, oregano and pepper. Spread over bread slices. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese.
- In another medium bowl, mix together meatballs, spaghetti sauce and water; spoon over cheese. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and cheese is melted and golden. Garnish with chopped fresh basil, if desired.
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from My Recipes