Now that my boys are back in school, I’ve started thinking a lot more about after-school snacks. With one in middle school, one in high school, and one just starting at the local university, they all leave the house and return home at different times of the day. And when you factor in sports and after school activities, it’s hard to keep track of who is coming and going! So I love having protein-packed snacks like these Tuna Veggie Pinwheels in the refrigerator. Then my boys can grab a quick, healthy bite to eat whenever they need one.
These delicious pinwheels are loaded with Bumble Bee® Chunk White Albacore Tuna, plus veggies and cheese for a filling snack or light lunch. They’re also great for eating on the go. And we’re definitely on the go a lot this time of year! I always keep some Bumble Bee tuna in the pantry, then I can make these pinwheels with whatever odds and ends of veggies and cheese I have in my fridge. So feel free to adapt the recipe to use up what you have available.
Plus, with growing boys, I’m always trying to add protein, healthy fats, and important vitamins and minerals to their diet, and Bumble Bee Albacore Tuna is an easy and delicious way to do that.
I like to use mashed avocado as a base in these pinwheels–it helps them stay together after rolling–but hummus would be a great substitute. Since I always seem to have lettuce and carrots handy, I usually add those, but finely diced peppers and onions are great too. Then I add the tuna mixed with bit of mayo and some shredded cheese and roll it all up.
Just be sure not to over-fill your tortillas, or they can be kind of tricky to roll. You can always use wooden picks if needed, to keep everything together. If you’re making this recipe for lunch, I find it’s easiest just to eat it as a wrap, rather than cutting it into slices. But the individual slices are great for snacking!
Tuna Veggie Pinwheels
- 1 can Bumble Bee® Chunk White Albacore Tuna, drained
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 green onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 medium avocado
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 2 large tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped lettuce
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- In a medium bowl, mix together tuna, mayonnaise, cheese, green onion. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
- Peel and pit the avocado. In a small bowl, mash together with the lime juice. Spread half of the avocado mixture over each tortilla.
- Sprinkle the lettuce and carrots over the avocado. Spoon the tuna mixture over the vegetables and roll the tortillas up tightly. Slice into one inch pieces. Refrigerate until serving.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.