We eat a lot of tacos and enchiladas around here, and this Cheesy Green Chili Rice is my easy, go-to side dish whenever I’m serving Mexican food. My whole family loves it, and I usually have all of the ingredients on hand. This rice doesn’t really look like anything special, but it’s full of flavor, and a welcome change from plain old rice. Plus, it’s loaded with cheese, so you really can’t go wrong. I usually cook the rice in my rice cooker, then add the remaining ingredients and bake. It’s also a great way to use leftover rice.
Cheesy Green Chili Rice
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 2 (4 oz.) cans diced green chilies
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cups shredded Monterrey Jack or pepper jack cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine rice and remaining ingredients, reserving 1 cup of the cheddar cheese for topping.
- Transfer the rice mixture to a greased 2 quart baking dish. Cover and bake for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Remove from oven and sprinkle with the reserved cup of cheddar cheese.
- Place under the broiler for about 2 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Garnish with additional chopped cilantro, if desired.