This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Tyson®. The opinions and text are all mine. School started for us last week, and with three boys at three different schools, I like to have a few quick dinner ideas ready to go–especially for those first few weeks of school. And when it comes to dinner solutions for busy weeknights, it doesn’t get much easier than this Quick Sweet & Sour Chicken.
I was at Walmart recently picking up some staples for my weekend cooking and baking and decided I better stock up on some things that would make for some easy dinners to get us through that back-to-school transition. We always seem to end up with at least two back-to-school nights in one evening, and I need to adjust to all of the driving! So I grabbed a few packages of Tyson® Any’tizers® snacks, because I just knew they were going to come in handy.
I love that they’re made with all-white meat, and are packed with protein for easy dinners or after school fuel. Plus they come in several delicious varieties that my boys love, and I love the simple preparation. I just needed to grab few fresh vegetables and I had everything I needed for a quick, weeknight dinner.
I’m always tempted on busy evenings to just get take-out. But when I can whip up some delicious Sweet & Sour Chicken in about 20 minutes, it’s actually quicker to eat at home! And with the Tyson® Project A+™ Program, I’m also helping my boys’ schools. I just clip and redeem Tyson® Project A+ labels from packages of Tyson® products. For every label they receive, our schools get 24¢, and the schools can use the money for whatever they need. It’s definitely a win-win for me and my family.
All you need to do to make this tasty chicken dish is cook some Tyson® Popcorn Chicken Any’tizers® snacks with some chopped peppers, onions and pineapple chunks. While everything cooks, I make a simple sweet and sour sauce. You could also use a prepared sweet and sour sauce, but since I can make the sauce in the time it takes to cook the chicken and vegetables, I usually go the homemade route. When your chicken and veggies are done, you just toss everything with the sauce and dinner is served!
We like to serve our Sweet & Sour Chicken over rice, so quick cooking rice is a great option when you need to feed the family in a hurry. If I remember to plan ahead, I serve rice earlier in the week and make enough so that I have leftovers for this meal.
- 1 (25.5 oz.) package Tyson® Popcorn Chicken- Any’tizers® snacks
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 a medium red onion, chopped
- 1 (20 oz.) can pineapple chunks, well drained (reserve juice)
For the sauce:
- 3/4 cup pineapple juice (saved from canned pineapple)
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with foil and spray foil with non-stick cooking spray.
- Arrange chicken, peppers, onion and pineapple in an even layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, make the sweet and sour sauce by whisking together all of the ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat and simmer for a few minutes until thickened.
- Place chicken and vegetables in large bowl and toss with the sweet and sour sauce. Serve over rice, if desired.
- Serving Size: 6
Dinner really doesn’t get much easier than this, and I love serving a delicious meal full of protein and veggies that I know my family loves! Don’t forget to check out the Tyson® Project A+™ Program to find out more about how you can clip labels from Tyson® products and help your school! Here’s to a great school year!