If you love the idea of fresh blueberry pie without all the work, then these blueberry pie bars are for you! With a delicious buttery crust and a lightly sweetened blueberry filling, they’re the perfect kind of bar for summer time–delicious served with a cold glass of freshly squeezed lemonade! They’re also fabulous served slightly warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. And we may or may not have eaten them for breakfast.
My family loved these bars so much, we already have plans to try the recipe with some of our other favorite summer fruits. I’m thinking peach pie bars will be in the works very soon!
Blueberry Pie Bars
- 3/4 cup white sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cold butter, diced
- 1 egg
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 9x9 inch square pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, stir together 1/2 cup sugar, flour, baking powder salt and cinnamon. Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the butter and egg. The dough will be crumbly. Pat half of the dough into the prepared pan in an even layer.
- In another bowl, stir together the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and the cornstarch. Gently mix in the blueberries and lemon zest.
- Sprinkle the blueberry mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble the remaining dough evenly over the blueberry layer.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the top is light golden brown. Cool completely before cutting into squares.