Today’s Market Monday recipes uses all kinds of fresh, in-season produce. I harvested the cherry tomatoes and basil from my garden, and picked up the beans at my favorite local farm stand. Come to think of it, I got my tomato and basil plants from the same farm stand!
I really love the yellow wax beans in this recipe, both for their color and flavor, but fresh green beans will work great too. With the addition of some canned chickpeas from my pantry, this salad is a healthy, protein packed lunch or side dish. Not only is this salad good for you, it’s pretty too, and the simple ingredients really allow the flavors of all that fresh produce to shine through!
Tomato, Bean & Chickpea Salad
- 2 cups fresh beans, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add beans and cook for 3-5 minutes, or until just tender. Rinse under cold water and drain.
- Add beans, tomatoes and chickpeas to a medium bowl and toss to mix well.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, garlic, lemon juice and sugar. Pour over tomato and bean mixture and mix well. Stir in chopped basil and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Refrigerate until serving.