With warm weather fast approaching, I’m always on the look-out for meals that don’t require heating up the kitchen. Which means tuna is a staple of our summer-time diet, and this Southwest Tuna Salad is a new favorite!
I used Bumble Bee Prime Fillet Albacore Tuna with Jalapeños & Olive Oil in this salad and it added such great flavor without being too spicy. Bumble Bee Prime Fillet Gourmet Flavors Albacore Tuna combines high quality albacore tuna with restaurant-inspired ingredients so it’s delicious, but also convenient and nutritious. It comes in 5 ounce cans, which I love to keep stocked in my pantry, but I also love the 2.5 ounce pouches. They’re great for eating on the go, especially when it comes to summer activities like picnics and afternoons at the beach. And it’s available in other gourmet flavors, like Sundried Tomatoes & Olive Oil and Chipotle & Olive Oil.
Bumble Bee Sensations Seasoned Tuna Medley Bowls are also great for lunch or snacks on the go, and there are great flavors to choose from, like Sundried Tomato & Basil, Lemon & Pepper, and Spicy Thai Chili. I don’t know about you, but I definitely need a high protein snack in the afternoon to keep my energy up, and I love that Bumble Bee offers so many flavor varieties to keep things interesting.
This tuna salad was so easy to put together. I simply mixed 2 pouches of the Bumble Bee Tuna with Jalapeños & Olive Oil and a handful of Southwestern inspired ingredients. Really, you could choose from anything on this list, but I included everything!
- Diced avocado
- Black beans
- Red onion
- Green onion
- Chopped cilantro
- Thawed frozen corn
The seasoned tuna adds such great flavor, I just needed a dash of lime juice and bit of salt and pepper to finish things off. It’s delicious straight from the bowl, but I like to make it extra special by serving it in hollowed out tomatoes. Of course, the hollowed out tomato is totally optional, but if you don’t use it, I recommend chopping at least one tomato and adding it to the salad.
Southwest Tuna Salad
- 2 (2.5 oz.) pouches Bumble Bee Prime Fillet Albacore Tuna with Jalapeños & Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 medium avocado, diced
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1-2 tablespoons lime juice
- Dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 medium tomatoes
- In a medium bowl, combine everything except the tomatoes. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Cut the tops off of the tomatoes, as well as a very thin slice off of the bottom of the tomato to help it sit flat. Very carefully hollow out the tomato with a spoon, being careful not to puncture the bottom of the tomato.
- Fill the hollowed out tomatoes with the tuna salad and serve. Alternately the salad can be served in bowls, on crackers, in lettuce leaves, or as a sandwich filling. Simply add a diced tomato to the salad, if desired.
Like I said, tuna is a staple at our house, especially in the summer. It’s a high protein food that my kids love, and with all of Bumble Bee’s gourmet flavors, we’ll be able to create plenty of delicious dishes without heating up the kitchen. Of course, when cooler temperatures return in the fall, I’ll start making our favorite tuna casserole again, but for the next few months, we’ll stick with easy to prepare, no-cook tuna recipes. For even more great recipes and ideas that use Bumble Bee tuna, check them out on Pinterest, and follow along on Facebook and Twitter.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.