Growing up, I was always a little disappointed about having a summer birthday. It seemed like the kids who had birthdays during the rest of the year got lots of extra attention at school, and I thought I was missing out. Of course, now that I’m older, I can see all kinds of benefits to having a summer birthday. For one thing, I don’t know why it never dawned on me that I never had to go to school on my birthday. Not to mention, summer is the best time for ice cream and amazing birthday desserts like this Chocolate Peanut Butter Caramel Ice Cream Cake!
I chose one of my all-time favorite ice cream flavors for this cake, Bunny Tracks ice cream from Blue Bunny, with fudge and peanut butter caramel ribbons, chocolate covered peanuts and peanut butter filled chocolate bunnies.
It’s pretty tasty on its own, but when you take all those flavors and create an ice cream cake…..well, let’s just say it was awesome enough to make up for all those years of not getting to bring cupcakes to school on my birthday.
I started my cake off by baking up my favorite brownie mix in a springform pan to create a crust. Then I spread the Bunny Tracks ice cream in an even layer over the brownie.
You’ll want to let your ice cream sit out for 15 minutes or so to make it easy to spread.
I find it helps to put the cake in the freezer for 5-10 minutes between layers to firm things up.
Since Bunny Tracks ice cream has a ribbon of fudge, I thought it was only appropriate to add a ribbon of fudge to my cake.
Once I’d spread a layer of hot fudge sauce over the ice cream, I topped it off with some crushed chocolate sandwich cookies. You could also use crushed peanut butter sandwich cookies here if you prefer.
At this point my pan was getting pretty full, so I made sure to press the cookies down into the fudge to make a little more room.
I finished off the cake with a layer of frozen whipped topping, a drizzle of caramel sauce and a border of chopped peanut butter cups.
Let’s not talk about how many “samples” I tried of each layer while I was putting this cake together.
I said this cake was amazing, but you know, that might be an understatement. And the great thing is, you can easily adapt it to use your favorite flavor of Blue Bunny Ice Cream.
With a graham cracker crust, different ice cream toppings, cookies and chocolate bars, you could have a completely different cake.
Which is how it should be when you’re celebrating your birthday–just the way you like it!
- 1 box brownie mix + ingredients for preparing brownies
- 1 (1.75 quart) container Blue Bunny Bunny Tracks Ice Cream
- 1 (12 oz.) jar hot fudge sauce
- 8-10 chocolate sandwich cookies, coarsely crushed
- 1 (8 oz.) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 24 miniature peanut butter cups, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup caramel sauce, plus more for serving
- Prepare brownies according to package directions. Spread batter into a 10-inch springform pan. Bake according to package directions until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35-40 minutes. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, allow ice cream to sit on the counter for 15-20 minutes to soften. Spread in an even layer over the brownie crust. Return to freezer for 10 minutes.
- Spread the hot fudge sauce over the ice cream layer. Sprinkle crushed cookies over top and press them into the fudge sauce.
- Spread the whipped topping over the fudge/cookie layer to within about 1/2 inch of the edge of the pan. Return to freezer for 5-10 minutes.
- Drizzle 1/4 cup caramel sauce over whipped topping. Arrange the chopped peanut butter cups around the edge of the cake.
- Return to freezer until set, at least 3 hours. Before slicing and serving, allow cake to sit at room temperature for 10-20 minutes (depending on how long it’s been in the freezer). Run a knife around the edge of the pan, then carefully remove the side of the pan. Slice and serve with additional caramel sauce, if desired.
Total time includes freezing.
- Serving Size: 12
If you want to add even more fun to your summer celebrations, try picking up some Blue Bunny Mini Cones or Ice Cream Sandwiches.
They’re perfect for almost any occasion, and I love that the ice cream sandwiches can be easily dressed up to coordinate with whatever it is you’re celebrating.
Just press the edges of the ice cream sandwiches into sprinkles that fit the theme of your party and you’ve got a cool, creamy treat for birthdays, baby showers or Independence Day!
I picked up my Blue Bunny Ice Cream at Walmart, along with the mini cones, ice cream sandwiches and all of the supplies for my ice cream cake.
For more great ideas on incorporating Blue Bunny Ice Cream into your summer celebrations, check out sunsoutspoonsout.com. I’d love to hear about which Blue Bunny creation you plan to try first!
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SunsOutSpoonsOut #CollectiveBias