Sometimes, I crave a rich, chocolate dessert, but I just don’t have the energy to do anything time-consuming or fancy. Enter the dump cake. Talk about a delicious, no-effort dessert. This cake is so easy, I had my boys put it together while I made dinner. I popped it in the oven when we sat down to eat and an hour later, dessert was served.
Although the chocolate chips are optional in this recipe, I think the vanilla ice cream is an absolute must. Now I always keep the ingredients for this recipe on hand so I can make it for last minute company, or whenever a dessert craving strikes!
Black Forest Dump Cake
- 2 (20 oz.) cans cherry pie filling
- 1 (18.5 oz.) box Devil's Food cake mix
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, optional
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350° degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
- Dump the cherry pie filling into prepared pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle the unprepared cake mix evenly over the cherry pie filling.
- Drizzle the melted butter over the cake mix and sprinkle with chocolate chips, if using.
- Bake for 1 hour (Don't worry if there are a few dry patches in your cake. It won't matter when you scoop it up and top it with ice cream). Spoon warm cake into serving dishes or bowls and top with vanilla ice cream.