GERMAN CHOCOLATE FUDGE PIE — A rich, brownie-like pie filling is topped with a traditional German chocolate frosting in this decadent chocolate pie that’s loaded with pecans and coconut.
This rich, fudge-like pie, is topped with classic homemade coconut pecan frosting, just like a German chocolate cake would be.
The chocolate filling is loaded with semi-sweet chocolate chips and pecans, and tastes a lot like a dense, chewy brownie.
And the frosting! It was hard not to eat it all with a spoon. The recipe does make a generous amount of frosting though, so feel free to sample a few bites.
Feel free to use your favorite pie crust recipe, or if you prefer a shortcut, like me, a refrigerated pie crust works just as well. My family honestly can’t tell the difference between store bought and home-made when it comes to pie crust, so I’d rather focus on creating a delicious filling.
I prefer pecans, but you could also use walnuts in this recipe with great results. This pie is super rich and decadent, so I suggest starting out with a small slice. Going back for seconds is always an option!
If you have a chocolate and coconut lover in your life, I suggest you make them this pie immediately! You’ll have a best friend for life.
Be sure to save this German Chocolate Fudge Pie recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
A rich, brownie-like pie filling is topped with a traditional German chocolate frosting in this decadent chocolate pie that’s loaded with pecans and coconut.
For the pie
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
For the frosting
- 1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl combine melted butter, sugar, vanilla, and eggs until well blended. Stir in flour, and cocoa until smooth. Stir in chocolate chips and pecans.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pie crust and spread evenly. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the center no longer jiggles and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting by stirring together the condensed milk, egg yolks, and butter in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly until thick and bubbly.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla, coconut, pecans and a pinch of salt. Cool completely before spreading over pie.
- If desired serve pie topped with chocolate fudge sauce and/or pecan halves for garnish.
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Two in the Kitchen