This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #WarmUpYourDay #CollectiveBias
School days start early at our house. My high school boys are up at 5:15 to make a 6:00 a.m. class before school. Sometimes I think I’m more tired now than when they were babies! The early mornings mean breakfast is usually something of the grab-and-go variety. Which is why we look forward to weekends, when we can sleep in and enjoy breakfasts like this Overnight Pecan Caramel Sweet Roll Breakfast Casserole.
This casserole is loaded with cinnamon, pecan and caramel flavor, and starts with the convenience of Pepperidge Farm Sweet Rolls. Just bake up 2 packages of their Pecan Caramel rolls and you’re ready to assemble your casserole (don’t forget to reserve the caramel filling and pecans that come in the package for later).
Since most of the prep work for this breakfast casserole is done the night before, all I have to do in the morning is pop it in the oven and whip up some cinnamon whipped cream to serve on top. Along with some 100% Florida Orange Juice and fresh fruit, this is the kind of breakfast my boys look forward to after a week of early-rising.
Once the rolls are baked and cooled, you simply slice them into 1-inch pieces and layer them in a 9×13 inch baking pan. Of course, I always make sure to “test” a few pieces of sweet roll during the process. I can assure you, they’re delicious straight from the oven. An egg and milk mixture is poured over everything and refrigerated overnight so the sweet rolls have a chance to soak up all the liquid.
The great thing about using the Pepperidge Farm Sweet Rolls is that there is so much real cinnamon and caramel flavor in the rolls, you really don’t have to add a lot of your own ingredients. In the morning, just before you bake the casserole, sprinkle it with the pecans that come with the rolls. So easy!
I also love this recipe because it’s simple enough for my kids to help make, which means we can spend some quality time on weekends both cooking and eating together. Of course, even on busy weekday mornings we have time for a glass of orange juice to go along with our breakfast. It’s definitely a staple in our morning routine.
There are several delicious ways to top your breakfast casserole once it comes out of the oven, but our favorites include maple syrup and cinnamon whipped cream–just whip some cream like you normally would and add a dash of cinnamon. It’s absolutely fabulous! I like to garnish my breakfast casserole with an additional sprinkling of pecans. Sliced fresh bananas are a tasty topping too.
This tasty breakfast casserole usually lasts us through the weekend, and if my boys are lucky, there is even a piece left for them to reheat in the microwave before they head out the door at 5:40 a.m. Monday morning!
Pepperidge Farm Sweet Rolls are perfect to simply warm and serve as part of breakfast for your family any day of the week. And if you happen to have leftover rolls, this casserole is a great way to use them. If you don’t have quite enough for the full recipe, combine them with some day-old French bread and add a bit of extra cinnamon, or simply make half a recipe.
I picked up several varieties of sweet rolls at my neighborhood Walmart, along with some Florida Orange Juice, back near the dairy section–so convenient since I also needed some eggs, and cream for the cinnamon whipped cream.
To say my family loved this Overnight Pecan Caramel Sweet Roll Breakfast Casserole would be a big understatement. They woke up for several mornings afterward asking if they’re were leftovers. Which means maybe I can recruit them to make it for me next time!
Overnight Pecan Caramel Sweet Roll Breakfast Casserole
For the casserole2 (15.3 oz.) cans Pepperidge Farm Pecan Caramel Sweet Rolls
- 8 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the cinnamon whipped cream1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Bake the sweet rolls according to package directions, reserving the caramel and pecan packets for later (do not add the caramel and pecans to the rolls as directed)
- When rolls have cooled, cut or tear them into one inch pieces. Place cubed sweet rolls in an even layer in a lightly greased 9×13 pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla and the caramel packet from the sweet rolls. Don’t worry if the mixture is a bit lumpy.
- Pour the egg/milk mixture over the cubed sweet rolls, being sure to get all of the caramel mixture from the bottom of the bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove the casserole from the refrigerator and sprinkle with the pecans from the sweet roll package.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until center is set and casserole is golden brown. If needed, cover with foil during the last 10-15 minutes of baking to prevent over browning.
- Meanwhile, prepare the cinnamon whipped cream by using an electric mixer to beat the heavy whipping cream together with the sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. Whip until soft peaks form.
- Serve the breakfast casserole warm topped with maple syrup and cinnamon whipped cream.
For more great recipe ideas using Pepperidge Farm Sweet Rolls visit warmupyourday.com.