Sometimes, the simplest recipes are the most amazing. Like this warm, gooey Hot Fudge Lava Cake.
This cake is comfort food in chocolate dessert form, and when I make it, there are never any leftovers.
I almost always have the ingredients in my pantry, and it only takes about 10 minutes to mix up and get into the oven. Which is probably dangerous, considering how much I love it!
In fact, it’s a good idea to keep a carton of vanilla ice cream in the freezer so you can whip this cake up any time the mood strikes.
Of course, in a chocolate emergency, I totally advocate eating it without the ice cream.
Hot Fudge Lava Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8 or 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, remaining 1/2 cup sugar, remaining 1/4 cup cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk milk, butter, egg yolk, and vanilla until smooth. Stir milk mixture into flour mixture (batter will be stiff) Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spread batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle reserved cocoa and sugar mixture evenly over the top.
- Gently pour boiling water over batter. Do not stir.
- Carefully place in oven and bake until the top of the cake is cracked and the edges are firm, but the center is still gooey, about 23-25 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes. Serve warm topped with vanilla ice cream.
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe