We start our week days (at least during the school year) at 5:15 am, so when I have time on weekends, I like to make something special for breakfast, and these Favorite Big Fluffy Pancakes have quickly become a weekend breakfast staple.
They’re slightly sweet, perfectly soft, and most important, super fluffy! My kids love them, and even my husband, who isn’t a big pancake fan, goes back for seconds.
The secret is the “soured” milk. The vinegar really gets the baking powder working. You can actually see all the air it creates in the batter.
I’ve found the pancakes come out best when you let the batter rest for 5-10 minutes before cooking.
Whether you serve them with maple syrup or fruit and whipped cream, or throw some chocolate chips or blueberries into the batter, these pancakes are a real treat!
When I take the time to make a hot breakfast, I want it to be something special, and when it comes to big, fluffy pancakes, this recipe is a winner.
I can honestly say they’re the best homemade pancakes we’ve ever had!
Favorite Big Fluffy Pancakes
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- In a medium bowl, combine milk with vinegar and set aside for 5 minutes to “sour”.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Whisk egg, butter and vanilla into “soured” milk. Pour the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and whisk until lumps are gone.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and coat with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour about 1/4 cup of batter onto the skillet for each pancake. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until golden, then flip and cook until lightly browned on the other side. Serve with butter and syrup or fruit and whipped cream.
- Serving Size: 6
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:Banana Bread Pancakes
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from All Recipes