Tortilla soup is one of my favorite meals on a cold day. It’s so versatile (use more or less spice, or leave out the chicken for a vegetarian version), and this Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup is loaded with all of my favorite ingredients.
If you don’t like spicy food, I recommend leaving out the canned chili in adobo. I add just a bit, because I love the smoky flavor. And don’t worry about all those chilies left in the can. Just divide them into small portions and freeze them in zip top bags for later. Topped with some fresh avocado, shredded cheese and crushed tortilla chips, this is a hearty meal that my whole family loves!
Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons chopped chipotle in adobo (from a can)
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 (10 oz) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Optional toppingsChopped avocado
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
- Tortilla chips
- Sliced green onion
- Diced tomato
- Lime wedges
- Chopped cilantro
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, jalapeño and chipotle in adobo and saute for 2-3 minutes, or until onion is soft.
- Add chicken broth, diced tomatoes with green chilies, chili powder, cumin, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir in cooked chicken, black beans and corn and simmer for 10-15 minutes more.
- In a medium bowl, stir together cream and cornmeal. Add mixture to soup and mix well.
- Return to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Stir in sour cream and cilantro just before serving.
- Serve warm with any (or all) of the desired optional toppings.
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Cooking Classy.