PHILLY CHEESE STEAK SOUP (SLOW COOKER) — Sirloin steak, mushrooms, onions and plenty of cheese, simmered in the slow cooker, then topped with toasted bread and French fried onions.
It’s my favorite time of year–soup weather! And when it comes to preparing hearty fall soups like this Philly Cheese Steak Soup for my family, my slow cooker is my favorite kitchen helper.
I can’t tell you how many slow cookers I’ve owned over the years, but my Hamilton Beach Set ‘n Forget® 6 Quart Programmable Slow Cooker is by far the best!
It has absolutely everything I’ve ever wanted in a slow cooker. The removable crock is a must, in my opinion, for easy clean up.
Like most slow cookers, this Hamilton Beach version allows you to choose a high or low heat setting, but you can also use the program mode to cook your food for a certain amount of time–perfect if your meal will be done before you get home.
The slow cooker just switches to the warm setting until you arrive. There’s even a meat probe for cooking meats to the proper internal temperature.
It seems like things always get crazy right before dinner time, at least at our house.
That’s when I’m out picking kids up from after-school activities or soccer practice, and then I’m tempted to just pick up some fast food and call it a night.
But with my Hamilton Beach slow cooker, I can get all my dinner prep work done ahead of time, and my family can enjoy a home cooked meal together at the end of the day.
Be sure to save this Slow Cooker Philly Cheese Steak Soup recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
EQUIPMENT YOU’LL NEED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
Check out more of my essential kitchen tools.
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds sirloin steak, cubed
- 6 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 ounces American cheese, cubed
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened for 20-30 seconds in microwave
- 2-3 sub buns, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Shredded mozzarella cheese, for garnish
- French fried onions, for garnish
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive olive in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until soft, 3-5 minutes. Transfer to a lightly greased slow cooker.
- Add cubed steak to skillet and sear on all sides until meat is dark golden brown, adding more oil if needed. Add to slow cooker with onions and garlic.
- Whisk together beef broth, flour, and Worcestershire sauce. Add to slow cooker along with mushrooms and cayenne pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. One hour before serving, turn slow cooker to high heat. Add the American and cream cheese. Stir every 10-15 minutes as the cheese melts.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss cubed bread with 1-2 tablespoons olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Toast for 7-8 minutes, or until bread is golden and crispy.
- Ladle soup into bowls. If desired, top with shredded mozzarella cheese, toasted bread cubes and French fried onions.
- Serving Size: 8
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
This is a sponsored post for Hamilton Beach. All opinions stated are my own.