There’s a reason poke cakes are so popular. Every one I’ve ever tried has been a delicious indulgence, and this Cinnamon Roll Poke Cake is no exception.
The cake starts with a simple white cake (from a box mix, to make things simple) that’s soaked in a mixture of sweetened condensed milk, butter, brown sugar and cinnamon.
A light whipped cream topping is the perfect finishing touch.
With all the flavors of a classic cinnamon roll, it was pretty easy to talk myself into having this for breakfast.Print
Cinnamon Roll Poke Cake
Cake1 box white cake mix
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
Frosting1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Cinnamon chips, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13 inch pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine cake mix, milk, oil, eggs, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and beat until smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until light golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a bowl in the microwave, or in a medium saucepan on the stovetop.
- Add brown sugar to melted butter and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Add the sweetened condensed milk and 2 teaspoons cinnamon to the butter mixture and mix until combined.
- Poke holes in the warm cake with the end of a wooden spoon. Pour the butter/brown sugar mixture over cake.
- Refrigerate cake for 2-3 hours while it cools.
- To make icing: in a large bowl, combine whipping cream, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon and beat with an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Spread whipped cream over cooled cake and sprinkle with cinnamon chips, if desired.
- Store unused cake in the refrigerator.
- Serving Size: 16
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Life, Love and Sugar