CHICKEN WITH CHEESY MUSHROOM CREAM SAUCE — Baked chicken smothered in a cheesy, creamy mushroom sauce.
I’m always looking for new ways to prepare chicken, but it’s not often I find a chicken dish that really stands out from the crowd. This Chicken with Cheesy Mushroom Cream Sauce is definitely a stand-out recipe!
This is one of those chicken recipes that is nice enough to make for company, but easy enough for a weeknight dinner.
And like all of my favorite recipes, the ingredient list is fairly short and simple.
This was such a big hit with my family–especially my husband, who loves mushrooms. And I’m a fan of anything that comes covered in a cheesy, creamy sauce!
My boys didn’t really care for the mushrooms. So they just scooped them off the chicken and gave them to their dad. It was a win for everyone!
Be sure to save this Chicken with Cheesy Mushroom Cream Sauce recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Baked chicken smothered in a cheesy, creamy mushroom sauce.
- 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup + 3 tablespoons flour
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4-6 slices Muenster cheese
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a glass baking dish.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Spoon 1/3 cup of flour into a shallow dish. Coat both sides of each chicken breast with flour, shaking off excess.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of butter over medium high heat. Add chicken and brown on both sides. (Chicken will finish cooking in the oven). Transfer chicken to the prepared baking dish.
- Add remaining butter to skillet. Stir in mushrooms and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until mushrooms are golden brown.
- Stir in the remaining 3 tablespoons flour and cook for another minute.
- Whisk in chicken broth and cream. Bring to a simmer, stirring as mixture thickens to avoid lumps.
- Pour the mushroom sauce over the chicken. Top each chicken breast with a slice of cheese.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and turn oven to broil setting. Broil for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Betty Crocker.