I love onions–unlike the rest of my family–so this Caramelized Onion Dip is right up my alley! I use onions in almost all of my savory dishes (don’t tell my family–they rarely notice), and I’d be happy to eat caramelized onions straight from the pan.
I first tried this dip at a friend’s wedding barbecue and asked the caterer for the recipe. It has since become one of my favorite dips of all time!
I try to make it when we’re entertaining so I don’t end up eating the whole bowl myself, although I have been known to do that!
It does take a bit of extra time to caramelize the onions, but it is totally worth it–they add amazing flavor to this savory dip.
This dip is truly irresistible with Ruffles potato chips, but it’s also fabulous with crackers, pita chips or bagel chips.
You can make this dip a day or two ahead, so it’s a perfect appetizer for parties or game day. I love being able to prep ahead so I can spend time with my guests.
Just be sure to bring it to room temperature before serving. If you love the onion dip from the grocery store, you’re absolutely going to love this amazing homemade version!
Savory caramelize onions are the star of this creamy, flavorful dip!
- 2 large yellow onions, very thinly sliced and separated into rings (2-3 cups)
- 6-8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Heat 6 tablespoons of butter in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the thinly sliced onions, cayenne, salt, and pepper and saute for 8-10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 more minutes until the onions are soft, browned and caramelized. Add additional butter as needed. Cool to room temperature.
- Place the cream cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until smooth. Add the onions and mix well.
- Add additional salt and pepper, to taste, if desired. Serve at room temperature.
- Serving Size: 8
Be sure to save this fabulous dip recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from the Ina Garten.